Too Much Insulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago I recommend that you out there could use second hand pullovers on hives. What have happened to my advice?

Pull over method!

If It converts the wooden hive brigade over to insulation then its all good

The bonnets will perform significantly better than the worst polyhives.
It should be noted there is considerable performance difference between the polyhives on the market and all polys are poor compared to a tree. Though All of the polys are better than thin wooden hives.

Here we go again. Why not repeat your nonsense about neglecting the bees as well? My own colonies in standard cedar hives do just as well as others in poly and the varying levels of insulation doesn't seem to have much influence at all.

the polyhives on the market and all polys are poor compared to a tree. Though All of the polys are better than thin wooden hives.

I have two green woodpeckers in my cottage yard every day. I am sure that they disagree your opinion. And Nature is right!

What is the average price of it in one of those shops.

Dunno you'd need one of those mathematician thingy 's to figure that out. I get as far as 1£ divided by 1 and then pick some more ear wax, ponder for a while and save wax for future hive lubrication.
Current accumulation rates estimates reckon I should save about 23.457p by next spring.

I'd buy one

There seems to be a niche for a moulded deep roof made out of insulating material instead of the wooden ones! They should be able to fit like normal roofs, could even have a metal covering on the top.
E

I'd buy one

Have a look at these poly roofs from pains/or ezeemoor bees.
5029839063142.jpg

About 3 inche deep lip and will fit over any wooden hives, a little loose, but it matters not when strapped down.

Have a look at these poly roofs from pains/or ezeemoor bees.
5029839063142.jpg

About 3 inche deep lip and will fit over any wooden hives, a little loose, but it matters not when strapped down.

probably cheaper just to stick a piece of kingspan inside a deep cedar roof

Back