Too many stores?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I've just inspected my hives again hoping to god to find some brood....I was expecting it a couple of weeks ago as both hives had swarmed and new queens were being trained up. Last week I saw a smattering of brood in one hive but couldn't find HRH...in the other I found HRH but no brood. So closed it up thinking perhaps she hadn't mated yet.

Today...the first hive (who I'd worried hadn't mated properly considering the smattering) now has many frames of capped brood (apart from one in the middle which has 2 capped cells eitherside) and the other hive...still nothing, although did see HRH. I took a long look at all frames and noticed that even if she wanted to lay, she probably couldn't! It's wall to wall stores in there!! They do have 2 reasonably empty supers on top...I'd understood that they would move the stores around to create laying space...have I given them way too much credit? In an interim panic I have moved a frame of brood from the other hive and swapped it with stores...is this daft?

Is my thinking along the right lines? I haven't any foundation handy but could get some pretty quickly if I wanted to create a bit of space. Why wont they move it uostairs though?

Back