Too late to super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My Q+ hive is almost completely drawn out in the brood box following an AS about 4 weeks ago.. What is my best option, am I too late in adding a super of foundation for honey? Should I add a super with no QX for more brood Or should I be looking to start Varroa treatments shortly?

Not late. Still a long time to go, approx till October with Ivy etc but next big flow should be from Himalayan Balsam if your near to it.

My Q+ hive is almost completely drawn out in the brood box following an AS about 4 weeks ago.. What is my best option, am I too late in adding a super of foundation for honey? Should I add a super with no QX for more brood Or should I be looking to start Varroa treatments shortly?

forget about how much is drawn out - how many frames of brood are there? and how full of stores are the other frames? if you have seven or more frames of brood you may get a super or two of honey depending on the local forage.

What is my best option, am I too late in adding a super of foundation for honey?

To get them working on the super ASAP I would leave off the queen excluder if using foundation (Until they start to draw it out) or alternate the foundation with drawn comb.

forget about how much is drawn out - how many frames of brood are there? and how full of stores are the other frames? if you have seven or more frames of brood you may get a super or two of honey depending on the local forage.

Got 8 frames of brood so whacked on a super. Forage is pretty good so fingers crossed! Cheers for the advice as always

Back