Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the first couple of scout bees sniffing around my bait hive on the garage roof yesterday, same spot I caught one last year. False alarm earlier in the week when SWMBO told me there were several hovering around....they were hoverflies.

Empty National box bar 2 frames of foundation, with a few drops of essential lemongrass oil on the landing board. This on the loading deck of my barn, which was 20’ from the apiary. (This was 10’ in the air, and had the advantage that I could open the door behind it on a night, and simply pick up the now-full box and walk down to the apiary with it!)
caught 50% of the swarms I missed of my own ( I know, I know) and some wildies of unknown source, at least one a year.

Ahh, the "vertical wraparound". One of my least favourite formats (though better than 20 feet up a tree of course).

Any hints from you or anyone else on how to get these into a box without annoying them by brushing them?

I didn't actually go to this one in the end as I was at work today.

The last time I did one like this though I used and egg box to scoop bees up and put them into the box. They then started fanning and the rest slowly got the message.

I had a similar on a bollard as well and that was easy enough to do as I just popped the box over the top of the bollard and they all headed up into the darkness.

I didn't actually go to this one in the end as I was at work today.

The last time I did one like this though I used and egg box to scoop bees up and put them into the box. They then started fanning and the rest slowly got the message.

I had a similar on a bollard as well and that was easy enough to do as I just popped the box over the top of the bollard and they all headed up into the darkness.

Thanks. Yes, it's easy-ish when they are on something that you can put a box/skep over the top of. But often not the case, as here.

I have had some success using frames with drawn comb and holding it gently against the bees so that they gradually all crawl on to it, then putting it in the hive, then repeating on the other side of the post.

Saw the first couple of scout bees sniffing around my bait hive on the garage roof yesterday, same spot I caught one last year. False alarm earlier in the week when SWMBO told me there were several hovering around....they were hoverflies.

Keep us posted....I’m yet to see any scouts at my traps but the weather is really warming up here so fingers crossed they’ll find them soon 🤞

Incidentally, I heard that wild bees tend to swarm quite a bit earlier than managed colonies....I suppose that makes sense?

Ahh, the "vertical wraparound". One of my least favourite formats (though better than 20 feet up a tree of course).

Any hints from you or anyone else on how to get these into a box without annoying them by brushing them?

This is where a 12v bee-vac comes in handy.
I'm itching to get my one out but need a swarm first.

Keep us posted....I’m yet to see any scouts at my traps but the weather is really warming up here so fingers crossed they’ll find them soon 🤞

Incidentally, I heard that wild bees tend to swarm quite a bit earlier than managed colonies....I suppose that makes sense?

Yes. Smaller nests, no artificial expansion of the comb area. The first swarm of the year round here was always from the local tree nest. Until it finally died out last autumn.

I had a couple of scouts at the bait hive in one of my apiaries. I checked the hives and it's not one of mine that are making preps!

Scouts are out two weeks before colonies swarm
Maybe, I like the bait hives in my apiaries as an early warning. I supered all the hives in that apiary so that may delay them.

Anybody use a Russian Scion in their apiary to help catch their own swarms? I understand bees often cluster close by when they first swarm but are then more likely to find a permanent home elsewhere rather than choose a bait hive that is close to their original hive...

Hello all - I have put out my first ever bait hive in the garden. Used BB with an old brood frame in it. Half a dozen bees have turned up today showing a bit of interest and they are going in and out quite regularly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I am lucky enough to catch a swarm what does it look like when it is happening i.e. do they arrive en masse and go straight into the hive? Or would they likely settle on a nearby tree or similar first?

Thanks

I’ve just just realised-baited all my traps and moved one of them to what I hope is a better spot....I’ve created a makeshift platform between the garage roof and a conifer hedge....entrance is facing west but I’m hoping that shouldn’t matter too much...?

You can also just make out another of my traps in the background...

C77786C8-07A5-4D23-92EC-BA0C7AACEF79.jpeg

Hello all - I have put out my first ever bait hive in the garden. Used BB with an old brood frame in it. Half a dozen bees have turned up today showing a bit of interest and they are going in and out quite regularly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I am lucky enough to catch a swarm what does it look like when it is happening i.e. do they arrive en masse and go straight into the hive? Or would they likely settle on a nearby tree or similar first?

Thanks
Either. I have seen both
Most go straight in but last years swarm hung about in a nearby tree for a couple of hours first

Latest posts

Back