Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar hive trap problem to Tarahill in front of me. I was thinking about putting my hive trap on the site position that I have chosen for them, and leave for a few days to properly orientate. Then move the hive trap aside and set up a hive with a few combs on the site. Then shake and feather the bees out of the swarm trap out on to a sheet a few yards in front of the hive. The sheet (or use additional strip)would need to lead up to the hive entrance so that pedestrians could join the flow. Feather the remaining bees off and take the now empty trap away to sort the combs into frames held in with rubber bands and return them to the bees.
I am new to this game so I expect to be clobbered by some "know it all" folk.

People who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us that do.

shake and feather the bees out of the swarm trap out on to a sheet a few yards in front of the hive.
Why on earth do that? just take the crownboard off the hive, remove the middle four or so frames, dump the contents of the swarm trap in the hive then gently replace the frames, close up, and leave them to it.
I am a bit concerned with this obsession with white sheets.

Why on earth do that? just take the crownboard off the hive, remove the middle four or so frames, dump the contents of the swarm trap in the hive then gently replace the frames, close up, and leave them to it.
I think its done that way as it makes good video.

I need help. For several years I have had a swarm trap at home, and a trap in the gardens of a couple friends. For the last few years we have not had success in attracting a swarm.

The traps are made from old WBC brood boxes, have a small entrance and are about head height. Each is loaded with one old frame of used comb and 2 frames of foundation. The interior of each trap has been painted with a propolis/spirit mixture.

What else can I try ?

A new location perhaps? maybe add a pheromone lure? Are you making best use of 'bee landmarks'? Where are swarms settling near you ?

They like blue. I have some blue sheets.
I have caught swarms and I did exactly that. With regard to dumping the contents of this particular swarm trap into the hive, which probably has five or six frames hanging from the roof, I am a bit concerned. I could end up suddenly with a lot of loose combs in the middle of the hive. I intend to take the long way round

I need help. For several years I have had a swarm trap at home, and a trap in the gardens of a couple friends. For the last few years we have not had success in attracting a swarm.

The traps are made from old WBC brood boxes, have a small entrance and are about head height. Each is loaded with one old frame of used comb and 2 frames of foundation. The interior of each trap has been painted with a propolis/spirit mixture.

What else can I try ?

Try some lemongrass oil (max 5 drops).

Make sure they’re shaded, especially during the heat of the day.

Put them in areas they won’t be disturbed by people passing close by all the time.

Take out the frames of new foundation. Replace with starter strip frames if you want.

Ensure box is about 40 litres (national brood box size). Ensure solid floor.

Face entrance south.

Do you see scouts at the traps?

Try some lemongrass oil (max 5 drops).

Make sure they’re shaded, especially during the heat of the day.

Put them in areas they won’t be disturbed by people passing close by all the time.

Take out the frames of new foundation. Replace with starter strip frames if you want.

Ensure box is about 40 litres (national brood box size). Ensure solid floor.

Face entrance south.

Do you see scouts at the traps?
I would agree with the above.

Yesterday the third swarm of June (I will have a full set of silver spoons at this rate) arrived in my bait box (video below) and last night I dumped them into a nuc (although it was such a large swarm they will rapidly need moving to a hive). I pin a sachet of lure inside the roof of the box, a few drops of lemongrass oil around the entrance, one lump of really manky comb on the floor and put one frame of drawn ( and preferably old) comb at the back of the box ( they need to be able to fly around inside the box, so any other frames need to be without foundation). It seems to work most years.

The higher you can place the bait box, the better. After all in nature they seem to prefer nesting well away from the ground. I haul my bait box about 3m / 15ft up a tree
View attachment swarm 30 June 21.mp4

What else can I try ?
They are in the wrong place
Higher up on a shed roof?
Try thinking hard about bees while you walk about with dowsing roads?

What else can I try ?
Lemon grass essential oil works a treat.

Im
Delighted to see one of my swarm traps had been deemed suitable by what looks like a decent sized colony. I'd been keeping an eye on every trap but this one, so they could be there for weeks.
I suppose my next move is to get them to another location and then transfer them into a hive or nuc box? The trap is only a quarter of a mile from my apiary.

Could I ask how long I'll need to keep them away before I can move them back to to a permanent location in my apiary?

I'm beginning to wonder if the bees aren't huddled in a tree laughing hysterically at me. Went to collect this swarm and found the box empty. Put it back and was pleasantly surprised to see it busier than ever all of yesterday. Steady traffic throughout the day, lots of bees at the entrance etc. Another trip up the ladder last night revealed another empty box. I replaced it and can report that it's as busy as ever today. Clearly they think I have little else to do.

Latest posts

Back