Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

BigAshW 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Have two bait hives out so far and a few more to go out soon.
Have a meeting with the local parks manager next Friday as they want me to put some up. Hopefully that will become a regular thing with them.

Karsal 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
The colony is continuously making collective decisions about food, water and weather conditions despite being confronted by a world of infinite choices. I think that it is taking an inappropriate anthropomorphic approach to suggest that bees will show hesitancy when being offered a multiplicity of near perfect new homes within a restricted location.

If the problem is that another swarm may hog the best nest if a specific swarm hesitates, so much the better; you get the one swarm and the other will dither less, once it has fewer choices. ;)
Every year I put three swarm traps in our back garden six foot up on the top of our conifer hedge spaced about four yards apart. Two years ago I caught four swarms in the back garden two of them arrived within a couple of hours of each other and populated two seperate boxes four yards apart.
We often see scout bees dragging each other out of the entrances possibly staking their claim to a new home.
After lots of activity over a few weeks at the entrance to a swarm trap all seems to go quiet mid morning and I jokingly said to my wife they had gone to get the rest of their mates. Sure enough lunchtime a swarm arrived as we ate out lunch on the patio. Great spectacle to see but our neighbour was not amused!

Boston Bees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
Every year I put three swarm traps in our back garden six foot up on the top of our conifer hedge spaced about four yards apart. Two years ago I caught four swarms in the back garden two of them arrived within a couple of hours of each other and populated two seperate boxes four yards apart.
We often see scout bees dragging each other out of the entrances possibly staking their claim to a new home.
After lots of activity over a few weeks at the entrance to a swarm trap all seems to go quiet mid morning and I jokingly said to my wife they had gone to get the rest of their mates. Sure enough lunchtime a swarm arrived as we ate out lunch on the patio. Great spectacle to see but our neighbour was not amused!
What's in the traps please Karsal?

Do224 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Had my traps up for a month now and not spotted a single scout. Is it just too early or am I doing something wrong?

Boston Bees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
Had my traps up for a month now and not spotted a single scout. Is it just too early or am I doing something wrong?
My traps have been up for 3 weeks. No bees interested at all. Something, however, is enlarging the entrance of one of the poly nucs being used as a trap. This is pretty bloody annoying. Not 100% sure what is doing it. Maybe a rodent after the old comb. Or a bird looking to nest in it? Hmmm.

Beebe 

Slave to the bees
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 + a few more
It's the same with me. But we'll need to wait until the bees are actually ready for swarming. With me, they're still building up the colonies, with not a sign of them filling their boxes. I've also not seen any drone brood. This pattern will doubtless be the same throughout my locality; I'm a fair bit north of you, but I think we're "enjoying" the same weather pattern.
:banghead:

Bubbs 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I have had traps out for sometime. Within a few days there were lots of them sniffing around. Now nothing at all, hope it will perk up when the weather does.
I used Swarm Wipes, are they any good? Any other suggestions for bait?

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I have had traps out for sometime. Within a few days there were lots of them sniffing around. Now nothing at all, hope it will perk up when the weather does.
I used Swarm Wipes, are they any good? Any other suggestions for bait?
Nice crudy old brood comb.

Latest posts