Too early for swarm traps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corrected before you pressed Post reply :love:

Swarm trap number three. This one is on the ground because it's in the garden of a friend who is seriously ill and who gave me the hive to which the deep roof belongs; I'm hoping he gets some pleasure from watching it.
The garden is very rural and full of wilderness, being several acres in size; the box is placed at the top of a significant slope. There is a beekeeper within 200 metres. I have high hopes for this one. ;)
20210405_163613.jpg

I just came across this webcam inside a swarm trap (it’s in the USA).....it’s really interesting to see the scout bees moving around inside! There’s a webcam on the outside too

I just came across this webcam inside a swarm trap (it’s in the USA).....it’s really interesting to see the scout bees moving around inside! There’s a webcam on the outside too

It's obvious that they are counting the steps and each step is a set distance.:)

That's brilliant....live feed too. This baiting/trapping is the most interesting part of beekeeping I've discovered yet.....and no honey needs to be involved. ;)

That's brilliant....live feed too. This baiting/trapping is the most interesting part of beekeeping I've discovered yet.....and no honey needs to be involved. ;)
I agree, watching scouts suss out a box is great but when the swarm turn up it's mind blowing when you first see it!

That's really cool. Thanks for posting

Willie Robson reckons all the colonies in flying distance know each other and carry a memory of their location, if so the best locations for bait hives are where hives have died out.

Watched for nearly ten hours and the swarm didn’t move in. So disappointing!
Like the sign at the front of the hive😀 Good idea and shows how many scouts take part in the inspection process.

Just put another trap out, this one a little smaller than the others. Might make one or two more. Determined to get at least one swarm this year! I’m a bit concerned that all my traps are in the same general vicinity (within about 50 metres of each other) but I don’t know anyone else who would be happy for me to put them on their land. Is it worth having 5 or 6 traps in the same area or is it no better than having one?

Attachments

• DBB3BC0C-5751-46F8-8544-5A8351771213.jpeg
    DBB3BC0C-5751-46F8-8544-5A8351771213.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Swarm trap number three. This one is on the ground because it's in the garden of a friend who is seriously ill and who gave me the hive to which the deep roof belongs; I'm hoping he gets some pleasure from watching it.
The garden is very rural and full of wilderness, being several acres in size; the box is placed at the top of a significant slope. There is a beekeeper within 200 metres. I have high hopes for this one. ;)
View attachment 25264
Looks like Aberdeenshire to me :)

Just going to the OPS previous question spread your bait hives around a bit, find locations in neighbouring areas/villages and I prefer them in the sun it gets the comb/lure cooking up nicely

Just going to the OPS previous question spread your bait hives around a bit, find locations in neighbouring areas/villages and I prefer them in the sun it gets the comb/lure cooking up nicely
When I first started beekeeping my hives were in a nieghbour’s field next to the house. One morning I discovered a bait hive secured to a dry stone wall a hundred feet away. I had to go up there every morning to block up the entrance. It suddenly disappeared one day maybe a couple of weeks later 😂😂

Just put another trap out, this one a little smaller than the others. Might make one or two more. Determined to get at least one swarm this year! I’m a bit concerned that all my traps are in the same general vicinity (within about 50 metres of each other) but I don’t know anyone else who would be happy for me to put them on their land. Is it worth having 5 or 6 traps in the same area or is it no better than having one?

That looks a great location. I would move in if I were a bee!

As for traps, the more the merrier I think.

I’ve just made another one 😂. Made from offcuts of ply I had..... in order to get it to the 40 litres I had to make it very long and narrow (as I was restricted by the offcuts I had). Should still work? Anyone had success with smaller traps, say 25-30 litres?66CD5643-F9B8-4F0F-A777-8E08B0F65DA8.jpeg56BC8977-DFBE-4F2E-A2A4-C26B6A6CA14B.jpeg

I’ve just made another one 😂. Made from offcuts of ply I had..... in order to get it to the 40 litres I had to make it very long and narrow (as I was restricted by the offcuts I had). Should still work? Anyone had success with smaller traps, say 25-30 litres?View attachment 25281View attachment 25282
They will go in a nuc if they decide to, they just won't stay there for ever!

I’ve just made another one 😂. Made from offcuts of ply I had..... in order to get it to the 40 litres I had to make it very long and narrow (as I was restricted by the offcuts I had). Should still work? Anyone had success with smaller traps, say 25-30 litres?View attachment 25281View attachment 25282
They go in plenty of flat roofs and that’s about the same

They will go in a nuc if they decide to, they just won't stay there for ever!
I got my swarm in a 6 frame nuc last year. Wasn't a big swarm but the nuc did the job. This year it is going out as a swarm trap again but with an extra nuc body to give more volume

Latest posts

Back