Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

kazmcc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
A beautiful evening for it. We met at 6.30pm, the weather was lovely, not too hot, still, but warm. After the upset of the wasps attacking, I was a bit worried about what we would find when we opened up. My mentor told me to get on with it :) Which I did. I took off the roof, to find they had drawn out lots more frames, stored in most of them, capped a good deal of it, there was even some brood in the middle frames :)
The brood box was the same, frames filled out, plenty of stores, nice grubs, capped brood.....it was wonderful :p I expected to find carnage, I found a beautifully growing, bursting colony.

We put the OMF on today, as the weather at the last meeting was terrible, so it was a quick check, then close up. The proper block was brought down so the wasps don't have a chance. They never did. We found one dead on the floor of the hive. They seem to have done a good job of keeping the floor clean too which is good news again. One wasp trying it's luck while we were inspecting. I kept pointing it out, I think my mentor got a bit fed up of me after about 10 " There it is! " 's :D Overall, an excellent result. A very happy colony, a very happy carer of a colony ;)

The good news. I have been told I can now inspect alone ( well, I decided I would never do it alone as such, someone will be with me always ) but without my mentor. He asked me to get used to inspecting the super at first, as there is brood in there, and it's like what I want to see on a small scale. I told him I understand thet her madj could be up there, and to hold the frames upright and over the hive. I have told the other guy too. I've started hive notes, and told the others I insist on them filling one in if they open up. Even if they don't do anything, I still want it noted that they have been disturbed.

In all, a very good day. We will be having a look next week, for the first time alone. I can't wait :) I am a bee keeper. I am head bee keeper lol, who'd have thought it :p

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Well done Kaz - I want to say I'm proud of you, but that sounds a bit odd considering we've never met...but well done that girl!! Glad the girls were happy, hopefully your worries will ease a little now :seeya:

Last edited:

kazmcc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks Queens. I am proud if me, so i don't mind you being so too :D After all that fuss eh? I need to learn to just chill a bit and trust the bees, they don't need me, they are not pets, they are not like a dog, who would rely on me for feeding etc. They just need a little helping along sometimes :D Lesson learned.....check ;) lol

Juststarting 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
Dont go for the beard its not a good look lol. As Queens said you should be proud of yourself. Reading your progress should inspire everyone to overcome a fear (and has been very witty too).

Keep up the good work and the posts!

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Well done Kaz
Inspecting on your own will give you confidence.

Moggs 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Good to hear this Kaz. If it helps, I have a suggestion or two for that next "Eeek, what do I do now?" moment, taken directly from my beekeeper's toolbox.

1. Measure twice, cut once
  2. The bees won't mind if you have a cup of tea
:cheers2:

kazmcc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks Moggs, good advice. I think we should stop and have a plan before we dive in. I am going to suggest a few ground rules, see how the other feel :)

Thanks for the suggestion Monsieur...I think I'll pass :D As juststarting says, not a good look. Maybe one for the blokes among us ;)

kazmcc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
News update, beep beeeeep beep beeeep ( that's my weak impression of an old telephone exchange :D )

The head of the school has arranged for the wasps to be removed :D The poor caretaker has to deal with it lol, I'll lend him a suit if he likes ;)

Latest posts