Todays hive weight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I checked my scales for accuracy from a recent weird weigh in and they are working accurately.
I weighed the hive today and it was 84lb, last time it was 110lb on the 23rd January.
I have worked it out and deducted the hive and parts weight which will give me 34lb of bees and stores, does this seem low to you experienced folk or is it ok and the bees are doing fine, they was also a lot of dark wax capping on the inspection board which could maybe brood capping.? .
Thanks
Steve.

I checked my scales for accuracy from a recent weird weigh in and they are working accurately.
I weighed the hive today and it was 84lb, last time it was 110lb on the 23rd January.
I have worked it out and deducted the hive and parts weight which will give me 34lb of bees and stores, does this seem low to you experienced folk or is it ok and the bees are doing fine, they was also a lot of dark wax capping on the inspection board which could maybe brood capping.? .
Thanks
Steve.

To be honest stores don't sound too bad at the moment if I have read your post correctly. I would add that one of my hives (poly) has lost nearly 10lbs in weight in 8 days. Seems to be a hell of a lot in such short a time.(Rechecked) Going to keep a close eye on things. Keeping fondant at the ready during next few weeks. The cappings depend on whether they have that 'buff' or biscuit colour of brood or just dark from old honey stores.:)

I have worked it out and deducted the hive and parts weight which will give me 34lb of bees and stores, does this seem low

They went from 97lb to 112lb around fifteen to sixteen days ago (is that right ?)...now they are 84lb, so by your weights they have consumed around 28lb of stores in around 15 or 16 days, something is not right here, not for a winter cluster, but if the trend continues and they are not fed they will completely run out of stores in the next 20 days or so.

They went from 97lb to 112lb around fifteen to sixteen days ago (is that right ?)...now they are 84lb, so by your weights they have consumed around 28lb of stores in around 15 or 16 days, something is not right here, not for a winter cluster, but if the trend continues and they are not fed they will completely run out of stores in the next 20 days or so.

100% right, the 97lb weight was the back end of October last year.

100% right, the 97lb weight was the back end of October last year.

Different sums
97lbs to 84 lbs in 16 days =1 lb /day.

You have obese bees..:serenade:

On the 15th October it weighed 97lb, the weight went up over 2weeks ago and now it has gone down too 84lb, they seems to be a lot of brown wax capping on the inspection tray so it has me thinking a good bit of brood is emerging and eating the stores.

Just a thought - realised you have fondant (or the more expensive type -Candipoline AKA 'mugs fondant') on the hive all this time - contrary to what some believe, bees will store this and at a slightly higher water content than the original fondant.
Could well be the reason your hive weight has been going up for a while

all that sugar ! Jamie's go in mental about sugar, don't let him know or the sugar police will be round next !

And they'll TAX it !

Just a thought - realised you have fondant (or the more expensive type -Candipoline AKA 'mugs fondant') on the hive all this time - contrary to what some believe, bees will store this and at a slightly higher water content than the original fondant.
Could well be the reason your hive weight has been going up for a while
They seem to be doing ok with what i am using but if you think or know it is bad for them i will certainly stop using it, on the weight issue i might be thick as pig **** with some things but i can guarantee you i can weigh something correct, (i do it with my body everyday) but i seem to keep going up, lol .
Thank you for your sensible reply. ;) . it does make sense.

They seem to be doing ok with what i am using but if you think or know it is bad for them i will certainly stop using it,

Not bad for them, just no better than bog standard fraction of the price baker's fondant :) so maybe just bad for your pocket

Latest posts

Back