Time for a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all.
My one hive is full of bees. Brood at all stages. Looks really good. When should I consider adding a super. I live on the welsh/Hereford border.

My other hive looks poor. Bees only on 2 frames. They are bringing in pollen and filling comb, but no sign at all of any brood. What should i do with these?

Thanks in advance,
Concerned beek.

How many frames in the good hive have brood in them?

Def 2 frames of brood and possibly a few on the third. Had to down tools a bit early due to a problem, so didn't get full inspection. I did work inwrds from both ends. Lots of stores on the outside.
Any ideas on the weak guys.

My rule of thumb is to super on 7-8 frames of brood, though please do remember some of the old codgers are still in the hive and are busy dying off.

PH

My other hive looks poor. Bees only on 2 frames.

Two reasons and first is less likely.

Not enough bees to be able to cover any brood. Colony is doomed and will likely dwindle away, even if she were to start laying.

No laying queen. Either a non-layer or no queen at all.

In second scenario, you really need to find the queen and unite the workers with the other hive - all being healthy, that is.

First colony seems as though it may be clogged with stores. They will accelerate use as brooding increases, but some may need to be removed temporarily to make space - remember bees collect honey and there are not a lot that are going foraging in a month's time if you are hoping for a good OSR return., but don't know what is around your locale.

Supering? - not yet, on only three frames of brood, or should I say less than three frames - as no doubt they will not be fully in use for brood

RAB

If some one is not sure, when to give more room to bees, give it to down stairs. The colony enlarges there when it has its time.

It is quite hard job in Spring to bees when they get 100% more space and they must keep the brood space warm. Then they are obliged to rise to upper box, because it is easier to keep warm. When you look downstairs, you will see that lots of brood have vanished.

Back