Thymol death syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi. In previous years I have fed plain sugar syrup but conscious that each time a black mould develops thought that this year I'd use thymol to prevent this. I prepared HM's emulsified recipe and used 5ml of this to just over 4.5l of 2:1 syrup.

Put this in 2 rapid feeders yesterday on 2 hives. When I checked today the had taken down a reasonable amount but there were quite a few dead bees (perhaps 20) in the feeder cone in both feeders... Is that normal.? - I'm minded to abandon the Thymol...

 thanks

Ok perhaps being a bit dramatic but never had any deaths with the same feeders and non-thymol syrup.

there were quite a few dead bees (perhaps 20) in the feeder cone in both feeders... Is that normal.?
Yes - happens with plain syrup as well, it's just the bees get a bit over eager to get at the syrup and the ones behind push the leaders in. Looking back to other stories, it happens a lot more in the smaller 4 pint rapid feeders.

On a different thread I've seen 2.5ml per gallon of syrup to prevent mould (sticky size 5ml) so perhaps I've used too much.

On a different thread I've seen 2.5ml per gallon of syrup to prevent mould (sticky size 5ml) so perhaps I've used too much.
no, not really, I have syrup with 5ml per gallon on all my hives at the moment - the stronger dose doesn't just stop mould - it also works as a prophylactic against nosema which can be an issue in overwintering colonies

Back