Thorns 12 frame manual extractor slipping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a 12 frame manual extractor which is slipping all the time.
There are two nylon gears and the smaller one connecting the rotating barrel you load the frames into seems to have slipped down.

The two gears don't mesh properly and this causes them to slip...and it is getting worse.
I wonder if there is a bearing that has failed.

Any ideas?

I have a 12 frame manual extractor which is slipping all the time.
There are two nylon gears and the smaller one connecting the rotating barrel you load the frames into seems to have slipped down.

The two gears don't mesh properly and this causes them to slip...and it is getting worse.
I wonder if there is a bearing that has failed.

Any ideas?

Ring thornes they are really helpful. I had a similar problem and it needed adjusting slightly!
E

No, the gears are not worn.
The smaller vertical gear appears to have slipped down a 3-4mm which means that they don't mesh properly.

You seem to have diagnosed the issue - one of the gears has slipped down the shaft.

Move it back up and secure it with the grub screw or whatever it has. If that can't be done, fit a jubilee clip on the shaft underneath it or glue it in place.

The shaft has to bear the full weight of 12 frames of honey plus the barrel.
I think something more substantial has failed, but can't see what, I can't see a jubilee clip cutting the mustard unfortunately

The shaft has to bear the full weight of 12 frames of honey plus the barrel.
I think something more substantial has failed, but can't see what, I can't see a jubilee clip cutting the mustard unfortunately

Got to say I have an old 9 frame Thornes manual extractor so it may or may not be relevant but the vertical shaft is suspended from a top bearing plate upon which the nylon gear rides. It can't slip down the shaft and the mesh must remain engaged unless the horizontal shaft is displaced.
If your vertical shaft is supported by other arrangements and the gear has moved can you shift it back upwards? To securely prevent slipping drill and pin would be one solution.

Just had another thought. If you have a 3 or 4 mm displacement is the shaft supported by a single ball bearing in a cup and has it been lost?

Back