Thorne budget smoker recall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have an ex member here that died of mesothelioma… lived with asbestos in her lungs for forty years after a classroom adjacent to the one she taught in was refurbished
We still have asbestos in the school I work in. I'm not sure where but it is a bit unnerving. Apparently it is ok until you cut into it and release dust/fibres

Always a danger when we were rummaging older ships - especially ex soviet Bloc ones, remember searching a Russian coaster in Liverpool, going down into the afterpeak and finding stacks of black binbags stuffed full of old engine room lagging. It didn't take me long to get my crew back on the quayside and their overalls wrapped up and disposed of.

I was at medical school in the east end of London 1963-6 and the asbestos hazard had only recently been reported. Employees at nearby Cape Asbestos were vulnerable, also their wives dusting down their mens' work clothes and children who years earlier had played asbestos snowballs.

My father-in-law has issues because of exposure to asbestos years ago. Smoking probably didn't help either. Hearing him getting going in the morning is not pleasant :(

Anyhow, I have one of these smokers as a cheap stand-by. I gave them my order number and a repacement bellows is apparently on its way. I wonder if they provide appropriate instructions for the disposal of the original?

James

I have 3 of these - not bought from Thornes but very similar. They are good little smokers but I think I’ll get some new bellows for them

Harry, the new owner of ‘Simon the Beekeeper’ has released some documents showing that the ones he sells do not have asbestos in them.
I bought one from Simon in his closing down sale and I’m unsure whether it is part of the same batch or not. As such I’ve spent £15 on some new bellows from Thornes. Not worth the risk!

Harry, the new owner of ‘Simon the Beekeeper’ has released some documents showing that the ones he sells do not have asbestos in them.
I bought one from Simon in his closing down sale and I’m unsure whether it is part of the same batch or not. As such I’ve spent £15 on some new bellows from Thornes. Not worth the risk!
I thought I was being smart by buying a lifetimes worth from Simons when they had their closing sale. DARN! Could you link to the bellows that will fit?
thx

We still have asbestos in the school I work in. I'm not sure where but it is a bit unnerving. Apparently it is ok until you cut into it and release dust/fibres
Asbestos is everywhere in some concentration or another. It used to be found in telephone exchange cable installations before PVC took over. Similarly for power cables in dry environments and there was often an asbestos pad included in porcelain fuse holders. Most hardware shops sold asbestos discs to place between a cooking flame and a saucepan to spread the heat. Anyone in the construction industry or Heating & Ventilation would have had regular contact with the stuff plus early Artex contained it. Brake linings as already mentioned
Fortunately exposure must be reducing since it's recognition as a danger to health but luckily there's a huge portion of the human race that have survived without so far succumbing to the noxious effects. Let's hope most of us don't develop symptoms.

We used to throw chunks of the sheeting into fires as kids for the colours and occasional small explosion.

Two of the three barn roofs are still made of it, although I'm told that as long as its not cracked or cut it isnt dangerous( I hope ).

It's interesting how the wonder materials of yesteryear, asbestos, plastic etc have the habit of ending up hazardous.

Sheep dip -still got the tank.
Not sure quite what to do with it though.
Ooofff, yeah thats nerve agent in a barrel.

Had an old boy round with a mobile dip/ spray system a couple of years ago and he was constantly shaking like he was having some kind of seizure.

Really glad that the worst stuff was phased out before my time.

Back