This year and our bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
It's the middle of April and I have visited my girls once so far.
This time last year I had 140lbs of honey in buckets.
My one visit was very brief due to rain and wind.

They are alive and I believe that they will have been busier this last week.

Hopefully I can see them on Sunday and can have a look at the brood nest to see where they stand.

At the moment they are still in Winter configuration...

I'm such a naughty beekeeper.

I really hope the weather is better this year and that I can get hold of 2 new gentle natured queens from somewhere.

Sam

This weekend looks good here ,will be checking my hives to see how things are ,last year was a heatwave at this time ,alot different to this, fingers crossed alls well .

Hopefully I can see them on Sunday and can have a look at the brood nest to see where they stand.

:iagree:
Sounds a bit like me! Only opened once in recent months to provide more fondant, but beyond that - winter has still been here, so insulation and mouse guards have still been on. Hopefully this weekend I can remedy that and get a quick first inspection to see what they're up to.

I hope I haven't forgotten how to handle bees :icon_204-2:

Certainly not, if they were overwintered on a brood and a super. Not interfering is likely the far better option in many cases.

I really hope... ...that I can get hold of 2 new gentle natured queens from somewhere.

Sam

I an going to try and do some queen rearing this year so hopefully that will sort the problem for me (plus for a friend who is down to one hive and wants to go back to three).

I an going to try and do some queen rearing this year so hopefully that will sort the problem for me (plus for a friend who is down to one hive and wants to go back to three).

In case anyone who lives near Dickleburgh, Norfolk is also planning some queen rearing, we have Mr Philip Beckley coming to Dicklebees to speak on "Queen Rearing" on May 13th 7 p.m.

Cost is £4.00 to non members. The venue is the sea scout hut behind the church. All welcome.
Cazza

It's the middle of April and I have visited my girls once so far.
This time last year I had 140lbs of honey in buckets.
My one visit was very brief due to rain and wind.

I really hope the weather is better this year and that I can get hold of 2 new gentle natured queens from somewhere.

Sam
I'm close to Andover, I tried to do an inspection last week, the bees sent me packing before we lifted a single frame... I'm doing as I'm told and will wait until the temps are firmly above 15C preferably higher... If they are putting on a good flying display by 1pm inthe bright sunlight, all you need to worry about is stores.

Latest posts

Back