This weeks stupid question !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All,
I've been busy this afternoon assembling a 'flat pack' national, so far I've got the floor and brood box sorted, the supers and roof are a job for tomorrow, this leads me to this weeks silly question, what holds the sections together, is it just gravity, should there be internal lips or should I add dowels while I'm doing the build ? Slightly confused and any help would be gratefully received.
Regards
Ray

you will find after a week they will be difficult to prise apart as the bees stick them together with propolis

Sections are not something I would encourage a beginner to have a go at TBH.

PH

PH think the OP meant the sections of the hive

The most important thing to remember is to have seven sixteenths of an inch between very top of a bb or super and the top of the rail, the bit where the lug of the frame sits. Get that wrong and you are in trouble. The frames must not sit higher than the edge if the box.
Seems obvious but ......
Well done.
E

I use a frame's top rail to get that distance right - no measuring required!

No lugs or lips - you'll find out why when you have to replace a heavy super onto the 'stack' whilst trying to not squash the workers...

R2

Hi All,
Thank you very much for that, I now know whats what :) The assembly instructions that came with the hive are good but I just couldn't figure out if they were a gravity fit or not.

I took the precaution of loosly assembling the parts before I started with the glue and screws, I'm quite proud that I've got so far with no mistakes yet, I even managed to get the 7/16ths clearance sorted by the method sugested using the frame.

Roll on tomorrow and I can get on with the supers ;)

Regards
Ray

There's no such thing as a stupid question,only the answers might be stupid....

You can get clips to attach brood box to floor which is very useful if you want to lift it to one side or move it.

You can get clips to attach brood box to floor

Actually it is the other way round, if you think about it!

Well it's Newtons Third Law isn't it, so applies both ways I think.

Nevertheless I applaud your pedantry.

Well it's Newtons Third Law isn't it, ... I think

I think not, in fact, it is not at all. There would be no equal and opposite force when the weight of the brood box were taken from the floor. Unless you consider a zero magnitude force versus a zero magnitude force (which would be totally inappropriate - as a force is a vector quantity).

Accuracy and precision are not the same thing, but either would be better than your offering. The floor would be attached to the brood when you lifted the brood; they would not be needed if you were to lift the floor (which is not the usual case)?

Absolutely it is.

When you lift the brood box and floor and hold them staionary you need to apply an upward force equal to the combined weight of the brood box and floor.

The floor exerts a downward force on the clip equal to the weight of the floor, and the brood box exerts an equal and opposite force on the clip which stops the floor from falling back to the ground and keeps the two objects in a state of mutual attachment.

I rest my case

Well it's Newtons Third Law isn't it, ... I think

I think not, in fact, it is not at all. There would be no equal and opposite force when the weight of the brood box were taken from the floor. Unless you consider a zero magnitude force versus a zero magnitude force (which would be totally inappropriate - as a force is a vector quantity).

Accuracy and precision are not the same thing, but either would be better than your offering. The floor would be attached to the brood when you lifted the brood; they would not be needed if you were to lift the floor (which is not the usual case)?

What utter twaddle - just for the sake of point scoring FFS!!

Attached is attached - they are both attached to each other.
Attached has nothing to do with which bit might be moved.

The statement "You can get clips to attach brood box to floor which is very useful if you want to lift it to one side or move it." is both accurate and precise enough to convey the posters meaning to anybody!

Latest posts

Back