Artifical Swarm - suspect I've messed up!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeSpace

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5ish plus a couple of nucs
Unfortunately, my only opportunity to check the bees this week, on Friday, coincided with a migraine that was then exacerbated by two hours in the sun and not enough hydration; result is I felt hideous and couldn't think clearly so suspect I've messed up my first swarm control, especially having reviewed my video of the inspection today.

Feedback on how to minimise the damage and recommendations on the way forward would be gratefully received.

Hive in question is headed by a 2018 Carniolan queen. I was planning to add an 11th frame in, plus a second brood; they only came out of their nuc box in mid February during the warm spell.

Situation I found: 9 frames with BIAS, 1 stores (plus stores round edges of some of the brood frames). Half a dozen queen cups, two with eggs in.

Action: panicked attempt at Pagden.

Results:

1 - new brood box on hold site, containing 1 frame of open brood with the queen on, 2 frames of comb with some stores, 1 empty part drawn comb and 7 frames foundation. Think this is okay.

2 - old brood box, moved to one side, containing 1 frame of sealed brood with a queen cup containing an egg, 3 other frames sealed brood, 2 frames open brood, 1 frame stores, 4 frames foundation. Think I screwed up on this - watching the film back, the frame with the brood and queen cell actually ended up at the back of the hive, separated from the rest of the brood by two frames of foundation - totally didn't realise at the time.

3 - nuc box containing 1 frame of brood and a queen cup with an egg and one frame of open brood and stores (both covered with bees), plus four frames of foundation. This doesn't seem like a great idea, but it's done - had totally lost the ability to think by the time I did this bit. I've left these closed in for a couple of days as they're in the same apiary and will open them tonight or tomorrow.

So questions from me...

1) weather is forecast around 10/11 degress for the next couple of weeks, then I'm on holiday for a week, so limited opportunity to open anything up for a while - do I need to find a way to open and check progress for any reason or can I leave them?

2) is the split brood nest with the q cell in (2) an issue?

3) do I need to feed any / all given the lower temps forecast?

Any feedback on what I should have done and how I can make the best outcome from this possible, would be great.

Thanks.

I think you jumped the gun - an egg in a queen cup does not indicate swarming.
I'd chuck them all back together ASAP (regardless of temps) and hope to real damage caused

Eggs in cups are an indicator of thinking possibly about swarming.

Grub in cup is a definite trigger.

As above put them back, put a couple of frames of foundation in the brood nest to keep the wax workers busy and the two of brood together in the middle of the bottom BBl.

Learn from it all.

PH

I think you jumped the gun - an egg in a queen cup does not indicate swarming.

Thanks; I did wonder about jumping the gun - as I knew the weather was going to be cooler for a while and I wouldn't have a chance to get back in them for a bit, I guess I panicked and made the wrong choice. What would have been the best action - add a second brood box of foundation and leave them to it for a few weeks?

Eggs in cups are an indicator of thinking possibly about swarming.

Grub in cup is a definite trigger.

As above put them back, put a couple of frames of foundation in the brood nest to keep the wax workers busy and the two of brood together in the middle of the bottom BBl.

Learn from it all.

PH

Thanks - I won't be able to put them all back together until Tuesday, due to lack of time, but will go and look to correct all then, whatever the weather.

Thanks; I did wonder about jumping the gun - as I knew the weather was going to be cooler for a while and I wouldn't have a chance to get back in them for a bit, I guess I panicked and made the wrong choice. What would have been the best action - add a second brood box of foundation and leave them to it for a few weeks?

Yes, I'd have just given them a few frames of foundation to play with, taken down the queen cups and put a new brood box under.

Latest posts

Back