Thick nectar in comb or disease

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willardx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there. I have found a few areas of comb with what appears to be thick white nectar but I am concerned that it could be disease. Any ideas peeps. The colony is otherwise healthy. I have tried to attach a pic but it says upload failed. Thanks

open up a couple of cells and take a sniff. If honey, it will have little smell. If disease, it will smell .. not very nicely. Take a matchstick/piece of wood and try to remove contents. If hard, it's honey. AFB is dark, sticky, smelly and comes away as a ropey like substance.

Hi there. I have found a few areas of comb with what appears to be thick white nectar but I am concerned that it could be disease. Any ideas peeps. The colony is otherwise healthy. I have tried to attach a pic but it says upload failed. Thanks

I had several frames like that this year, i had to feed through robbing on two new Queen nucs , i picked some out of a cell with a tooth pick and it appeared to be crystallized uncapped sugar it resembled white pollen stores but it was definitely sugar, i am not saying that yours is the same but a picture would help folk identify your question.

Edited to add i have just found this in my stored equipment that has not been fully cleaned by the bees it is stored sugar.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks people. Managed to resize pic. Hopefully it will be clear. My gut feeling is that it's ivy but I will have a puggle next week. Doesn't look like the chalk I've seen before.

Attachments

• IMG_20171014_090812476-172x142.jpg
    IMG_20171014_090812476-172x142.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 61
Thanks people. Managed to resize pic. Hopefully it will be clear. My gut feeling is that it's ivy but I will have a puggle next week. Doesn't look like the chalk I've seen before.

Looks like drone brood being eaten by the bees, the image is out of focus. What are your stores like?

Stores are good. Had to shrink the pic right down so lost details annoyingly. May try again.

Attachments

• IMG_20171014_090812476-860x711.jpg
    IMG_20171014_090812476-860x711.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back