the smell of beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just well accustomed to "tinky" bees John.

The smell is akin to acetone. There was a sweet that used to have a similar scent and pear drops comes to mind but may well not be right.

PH

Just well accustomed to "tinky" bees John.

The smell is akin to acetone. There was a sweet that used to have a similar scent and pear drops comes to mind but may well not be right.

PH

I think Pear Drops use Amyl Acetate

:)

The Smell of Bees

I have a very bad sense of smell,cannot smell apiguard or most things , but I have noticed a different smell of hives that are more aggresive it smells almost like pipe tobbaco, I am glad that other people can distinguish the difference ,because other people I have spoke to ,even when we are at the same hive have not noticed a difference.

Definately a "pear drops" smell from the old sweets. Time to close up if it gets too strong.

Peter

If your colony smells of bananas (before the first sting is stung ), look out for insurrection . The pear drop smell is accompanied by the sting ?

John Wilkinson.

So sucking Pear Drops whilst doing an inspection could possibly be a bad idea then?

Must make a note of that one

:ack2:

Latest posts

Back