Beekeeping in 2118

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanglebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
9 OSB colonies.
Where are beekeepers to be in 100 years time? With or without varroa issues?

Upon recent complete loss of all of my 7 untreated colonies this winter, I’m hoping this year to return to beekeeping with some captured swarms and treat for varroa ( lesson learnt). Thanks for all the encouragement on my previous post btw.

But with the beekeeping soul searching time i have, I currently sit here bee-less and contemplating the Western Honey bee’s future existence.

First of all I immediately think of three simplified future scenarios for future honey production (say in 100 or 200 years time).

1: beekeepers are keeping AM in existence with man-made treatments with a continued arms race against varroa D & viruses. (Bees propped up by man).

2: all beekeepers remove all treatments and risk total species extinction with the hope that Mother Nature finds a way. (E.g. the peppered moth would not have evolved to a black colouration during the industrial revolution if humans had cleaned the pollution from the bark of trees to help the peppered moth from being seen by birds.)

3: improve/selective breed varroa resistant honey bees (e.g Apis cerana), to survive varied climates and increase honey yield. For example if the red jungle fowl never existed, I’d imagine humans would have chosen a different species for egg production through selective breeding and called it a chicken, perhaps the green jungle fowl?!

All three scenarios involve immense human effort for beekeepers to still exist in 100’s of years time.

I suppose it very much depends on whether you're a scientist conservationist or a spiritualist...

I suppose it very much depends on whether you're a scientist conservationist or a spiritualist...

Even with treatments, bees have gained some varroa resistance. There are no varroa on Colonsay. Our Association apiary acquired som Colonsay queens with - obviously - no exposure or resistance to varroa. Unsurprisingly the hives they produced were terrible for varroa - much worse than the surrounding hives - the outcome of 20 continuous years of exposure to varroa and treatment for varroa. (they were also pretty bad tempered in the same comparison).

So treatment for varroa does not means bees don't evolve with no resistance The proponents of treatment free forget that colonies with high varroa loads - despite treatment - tend to get killed off in bad winters. So Darwinism still works - and bee breeders tend not to breed from bees with a tendency for high varroa loads.

Strangely enough, those who advocate going treatment free never mention that...

The industrial revolution was too short for the Peppered Moth to "evolve" the change favoured a colour variation that already happened naturally but predation removes from view. It is the same with Albinism in rabbits and hares, the white ones get eaten but an ice age would reverse the odds.

The issue is we moved AM into AC territory, Varroa is not picky and harms AM more than it harms AC. There is no time to evolve for AM, Varroa jumped ship and we now have to deal with it as we, Humans, have spread Varroa around the planet.

We as a species, struggle to get evolution, Humans aren't around long enough to study it and we don't readily grasp what we don't see and measure directly, for what it is worth all of this falls under selection and selection pressures which includes human breeding attempts. If we select for a fair few millennia then we might get close to seeing true evolution.

Sorry slightly :ot:

If I were to try for a moment to be an optimist, I would suggest that bees will have evolved to cope with whatever has been thrown at them so long as Man has not poisoned the planet beyond the survivability of anything but the tiniest microbe. My actual personal opinion, as a complete pessimist, as is my wont, I suggest that regardless of the position of bees, we will have wiped not only beekeepers but everyone else from the face of the world...

...at least I hope so.

:rant:

We have done nothing useful on this planet except breed uncontrollably (if that can be in any way considered useful other than for our species). We have no predators, except ourselves and we have the ability to survive things that a hundred years ago would have killed millions, but we also have the ability to use our one weapon -- the brain -- to create methods of destruction for ourselves and all other species on the planet. We are a pariah, a virus and we need to die out quickly if the planet is to continue as a haven of life. Every other creature on this earth goes about their business of procreating, surviving and flourishing, not one of those species has the deliberate destruction of life built into it's psyche -- except one, us.

I do hope bees make it through varroa, small hive beetle, wax moth, nosema, etc. etc. but most of all I hope they survive a local farmer with a neonicotinoid pesticide because surely their greatest threat is us, human beings.

:rant:

Last edited:
We are a pariah, a virus and we need to die out quickly if the planet is to continue as a haven of life.

You could have the courage of your convictions here and make a start, go and kill yourself...quickly.

Last edited:
There might be no bees - if the insecticide mob get their way. So probably humans will be declining rapidly as well. Climate change could well be out of control by then.

Must be a lot of wax in there, you should maybe clean them out more often...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe Finny has taken to stuffing his ears with beeswax to silence our stupidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately no.

The crowd funding attempt thankfully failed.

PH

Latest posts

Back