The public

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what IRPMO is (and google doesn't seem to know either) sorry. I don't necessarily disagree my point was more that people conflate "normal" reactions to stings (swelling, pain, itchiness etc) with more severe symptoms such as dizziness, breathing difficulty, feeling faint etc and claim that bees on their property "need" to be destroyed because they are "allergic".

I've only once come across someone (when I've been out to their property) who has actually had an epipen because they had been properly assessed as such. In one such case what sounded over the phone like a colony in a hedge actually turned out to be a wasps nest yet the occupents who claimed to be "allergic to bees" didn't know the difference between the two.

My point was: neither you or your friend knew for certain whether the allergy was real or imagined. In any case, some people have no prior indication yet suffer anaphylactic reactions. The risk is always there.
I actually have two epi-pens and they are always within easy reach.

My point was: neither you or your friend knew for certain whether the allergy was real or imagined. In any case, some people have no prior indication yet suffer anaphylactic reactions. The risk is always there.
I actually have two epi-pens and they are always within easy reach.
I wouldn't have a clue. He's a retired GP with however many years training that takes plus enough years of practice to be able to retire so I'll listen to his views on medical matters. As I said it was a theory, not a theorem or fact. If you have genuinely been assessed by medical professionals as needing to carry epi-pens then of course you should continue to do so.

For the rest of the population the risk is low so they are not carried as a matter of routine. They are a medicine in their own right so using one when not needed carries its own risks (ironically you can even have an allergic reaction to ingredients within the pen's contents).

Another (non-beekeeping) example for you - at work we were banned from having nuts in the office tuck shop because a female colleague was "severely allergic". Another colleague who had previously enjoyed nuts at work because he couldn't at home as his son was severely allergic (and hence carried epipens at all times) went to talk to her to discuss experiences only to find she'd hadn't been prescribed an epipen by a medical professional. She had asthma and being around nuts made her more wheezy, but she'd never been prescribed an epipen. I wouldn't class this as being "severely allergic" and presumably neither would her medical consultant otherwise she'd have been given two.

Like anything in life there are scales - some people with epilepsy have multiple seizures a day even with medication; I (fortunately) haven't had one in over 8 years (I wasn't diagnosed until well over 30 and as an adult I've only had 3 "proper" seizures and 3 other episodes which were in hindsight probably seizures) none of which is to say I won't have one tomorrow. Similarly some people are at serious risk of death from a single bee sting or the slightest contact with nuts, others will more commonly feel discomfort while others won't notice anything other than the initial pain (for the sting at least). That isn't to say they won't have a worse reaction one time but that can happen to anyone.

I wouldn't have a clue. He's a retired GP with however many years training that takes plus enough years of practice to be able to retire so I'll listen to his views on medical matters. As I said it was a theory, not a theorem or fact. If you have genuinely been assessed by medical professionals as needing to carry epi-pens then of course you should continue to do so.

For the rest of the population the risk is low so they are not carried as a matter of routine. They are a medicine in their own right so using one when not needed carries its own risks (ironically you can even have an allergic reaction to ingredients within the pen's contents).

Another (non-beekeeping) example for you - at work we were banned from having nuts in the office tuck shop because a female colleague was "severely allergic". Another colleague who had previously enjoyed nuts at work because he couldn't at home as his son was severely allergic (and hence carried epipens at all times) went to talk to her to discuss experiences only to find she'd hadn't been prescribed an epipen by a medical professional. She had asthma and being around nuts made her more wheezy, but she'd never been prescribed an epipen. I wouldn't class this as being "severely allergic" and presumably neither would her medical consultant otherwise she'd have been given two.

Like anything in life there are scales - some people with epilepsy have multiple seizures a day even with medication; I (fortunately) haven't had one in over 8 years (I wasn't diagnosed until well over 30 and as an adult I've only had 3 "proper" seizures and 3 other episodes which were in hindsight probably seizures) none of which is to say I won't have one tomorrow. Similarly some people are at serious risk of death from a single bee sting or the slightest contact with nuts, others will more commonly feel discomfort while others won't notice anything other than the initial pain (for the sting at least). That isn't to say they won't have a worse reaction one time but that can happen to anyone.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a doctor alive who can say whether someone will suffer an anaphylactic response without evidence. They can give you guidance on likely outcomes in hypothetical situations but they can't - no-one can - give you certainty. Referring to a medical professionals views, expressed in a casual conversation does not constitute medical advice.
My son had been stung before but had never had a severe reaction - until he did. Within 15 minutes, he was dead.
My point is: don't ever dismiss someones concerns about allergic reaction. Sometimes, that concern is well founded.

A driver for B+ is to have well-behaved bees due to tragic circumstances he has just mentioned.

In an emergency, just assume it’s anaphylaxis. 999, adrenaline, lie down, elevate legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back