• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Got too many bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
I'm, in Beaconsfield (Buckinhamshire) near High Wycombe. I had taken up beekeeping again when a swarm landed at a neighbour's 3 years ago. This swarm has now multiplied into 3 large colonies and 2 smaller colonies and a split. Two of the smaller ones are giant primary swarms from two of the larger colonies. I was going to 'merge' them back together late in the year but frankly this is all getting too much for me. I can't spend my evenings hammering together even more frames. Feels like it's never enough. So I figure its time to recuperate some of the expenses.

The two large swarms were soo big they are already sitting on 8+ frames each. I had given them mostly drawn out frames with everything they need to entice them to stay. Frames are all size 'national'.
My bees are superhealthy. They only live off their own honey. No other feed has ever been used. Mite control with ApiVar (two weeks in the fall).

For sale:
a) Large swarm on 8+ mostly drawn out frames, 120 £. (hive not included, bring your own)
b) Large swarm on 8+ mostly drawn out frames, 120 £. (hive not included)
c) Large colony sitting in three brood boxes + hive (paynes poly national) 250£
d) Large colony sitting in three brood boxes + hive (paynes poly national) 250£
All for pickup in Beaconsfield HP92BU.

Bees are very likely 'carniolan' and are not too hostile. My three kids play in the garden every day and are never bothered.

If interested call or message Peter on 07530611402. No calls after 8pm please.

do you mean apilife var or vet prescribed Aipvar, because if it is two week treatment with vet prescribed ( or french purchased ) apivar, then you are being very irresponsible if it is Apivar for two weeks as the correct treatment period is 6 weeks in order to prevent resitance to the active ingrediant Amitraz 500mg

Last edited:
hi

Its ApiLifeVar. I've never lost a hive, since I started using that stuff 9 years ago. I don't think I'm being 'irresponsible' although I admit I don't follow procedures to the letter. It all depends on my time and the weather.
P.

Peter, don't be surprised if your post is removed! It is normal for first time posters to pay for an advert like this! Just giving you the heads up!
E

hi

Its ApiLifeVar. I've never lost a hive, since I started using that stuff 9 years ago. I don't think I'm being 'irresponsible' although I admit I don't follow procedures to the letter. It all depends on my time and the weather.
P.

its the under treatment with Apivar i was really worried about not Apilife var, they are two totally different treatments using different actions

Apivar is currently the silver bullet but with the approval of Apitraz500 then both treatments will soon loose they potency due to resistance build up by the varroa and that is mainly because beekeepers dont follow the treatment instructions

be more accurate with treatment and treatment names because the varroa treatment Apistan was ruined by beekeepers not following the instructions and resistance built up

Hi
>>Peter, don't be surprised if your post is removed! It is normal for first time posters to pay for an advert like this! Just giving you the heads up!

I did pay 15 pounds to the site operator!

BTW, the prices I posted are really just guidance. I just want to reduce the number of bees I have. I feel stupid just giving them away since it costs me quite a bit of money to buy the equipment, and its quite a bit of work too. I enjoy it, but I dont want six hives. Two is enough for to cover our honey consumption.
P.

Hi
As far as I know ApiLifeVar was developed by a guy in south-Tirol, in northern Italy or Austria from naturally occuring ingredients. I have to admit I barely even think about varroa mites anymore. It's such a non problem for me. I live in a residential area with thousands of small gardens. There is no poisoned monoculture anywhere near. And since my bees feed on their own honey, their immune system is very strong.
I remember when I was living in Germany I was part of a bee keeping club, and I was introduced to various methods of mite control like pulling frames out one by one and spraying with formic acid. Sounds like fun for the bees.
Peter.

Hi
I was introduced to various methods of mite control like pulling frames out one by one and spraying with formic acid.

That is interesting, could you please tell us more about the method of spraying bees with formic acid, what strength was the formic acid?

Peterr are you sure it was formic Acid , I have only ever seen lactic acid sprayed on bees never formic Acid

inhalation of formic acid by the operator would be a very high risk of damage to the health of the beekeeper

quote from H&S manual

Symptoms of inhalation of spray or vapour include redness, swelling, blistering of the skin and mucous membranes of the mouth and throat, eye irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty in swallowing, difficulty in breathing, headache, dizziness, blood in the urine, decreased or absence of urine production, and unconsciousness ..

Hi
>>Peter, don't be surprised if your post is removed! It is normal for first time posters to pay for an advert like this! Just giving you the heads up!

I did pay 15 pounds to the site operator!

BTW, the prices I posted are really just guidance. I just want to reduce the number of bees I have. I feel stupid just giving them away since it costs me quite a bit of money to buy the equipment, and its quite a bit of work too. I enjoy it, but I dont want six hives. Two is enough for to cover our honey consumption.
P.

Hi Peter, I humbly apologise. :sorry:
I somehow failed to notice that it was under the for sale heading.
I should really mind my own business
Good luck with getting a buyer
E

Hi
yes it is Formic Acid (Ameisensauere). Just a quick search resulted in this german youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TKGycetlM

In the video they use a sponge and place that in the hive - presumably the acid fumes will get the varroa mites. But I'm pretty sure I also saw the 'spray on' method - but I don't remember the strength of the preparation. ApiLiveVar is all I ever needed and it's really easy to use. But yes it does cost money and if you have lots of hives an alternative method like lactic acid or formic acid will be much cheaper.
Peter

But I'm pretty sure I also saw the 'spray on' method

I was introduced to various methods of mite control like pulling frames out one by one and spraying with formic acid.

Only interested in the spray on method, plenty of the other methods are well documented and in widespread use.

How much formic did you spray on each frame of bees, how often was it done, did you do it when there was sealed brood present or not?

Last edited:
Only interested in the spray on method, plenty of the other methods are well documented and in widespread use.

How much formic did you spray on each frame of bees, how often was it done, did you do it when there was sealed brood present or not?

:iagree:

various application methods for formic, but never seen or heard of spray on method, must have some heavy PPE to do it unless very dilute

Re: Spray Method

Hi

I looked up the 'spray method'. I was mistaken. It is 'lactic acid', not 'formic acid'. You have to spray 15% 'lactic acid' ad us. vet. And you have to do this in December, and avoid days with sub zero temperatures :) So, no brood in the hive! You want direct contact with the mites. You spray 5-8 ml on each side of frame covered with bees. Effectiveness against varroa mites is 80% if done once, 90% if done twice. 'lactic acid' leaves no residue in the hive.

I've personally never done this. I just vividly remembered this because it's done in winter or very late in fall.

Source: https://www.bienenjournal.de/filead...n-Bienengesundheit-Varroabehandlung-klein.pdf

Peter

Hi Peter do you mean Autumn not fall? lol

Poor guy!

Picked to pieces and he was only trying to flog some Bees!

You savage bunch!!!

Back