My bee setup!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
OK, I've only been keeping bees for 3 years now, so I don't have a huge collection or anything, probably just a pretty ordinary hobby keeper setup, but here you go...
hives1.jpg I'm lucky to have a very long terraced garden so that the bees positioned on the top terrace don't really interfere with our use of the garden and have flown well over everyone's head before they get a couple of feet from the hives. They also have an apple tree in front of them, a cherry tree behind, and an olive tree to one side, so they don't have much option but to get up and out of the way.
hives3.jpg The hives are on the edge of a terrace so the entrances open out over the top of the ragstone wall. This gives me just enough space, shared with the mint and blackberry plants, to work the hives from behind.
hives2.jpg The chicken garden is my overflow area. At the moment there's just one poly nuc housing a swarm, a spare hive which is just protecting my last drawn super at the moment, and a plywood nuc that's holding a few old brood frames that are marked for melting down, but being kept 'just in case' for a little bit longer. You never know when you'll need another brood frame!
bee shed.jpg What used to be the garden shed is rapidly becoming the bee shed! It's amazing how much stuff you 'need' for bees ;) Luckily I can fit my extractor and buckets in, and managed to get a little bit more organised this year with a shelf for all those different types of boards. Haven't found a good spot for the new mini mating hives yet - queen rearing being my next beekeeping challenge!

Very colourful😀
I couldn’t help but smile at the “bee bag” with the rhombus clearer sticking out!

OK, I've only been keeping bees for 3 years now, so I don't have a huge collection or anything, probably just a pretty ordinary hobby keeper setup, but here you go...
View attachment 27095

I like the colourful setup; I also like random combinations. I suppose professionals or people with out-apiaries have to be a bit more subdued so as not to attarct attention.

I used to have a steep garden and the benefit of having the bees flying over your head is good. They never bothered us. Our garden now is flat s I have had to put up eight foot screen to get them over the neighbours heads!

Very colourful😀
I couldn’t help but smile at the “bee bag” with the rhombus clearer sticking out!
A present from my nieces - the bee bag that is 😊 Still using my homemade clearer board at the moment so haven't got around to putting the rhombus clearers on a board yet - might have to be a job for this weekend 🤔

I like the colourful setup; I also like random combinations. I suppose professionals or people with out-apiaries have to be a bit more subdued so as not to attarct attention.
Only started because I had a selection of leftover paint and tester pots but it certainly brightens up the garden!

I used to have a steep garden and the benefit of having the bees flying over your head is good. They never bothered us. Our garden now is flat s I have had to put up eight foot screen to get them over the neighbours heads!
I certainly never realised quite how big an advantage it would be before I got the bees. When you look into siting hives there's plenty about facing south, space around for working, sunny v shady, in front of a wall/hedge to encourage them up etc. but there's little about using the existing topography to your advantage.

The bee bag in the store looks the same as I got my little girl from the starter kit for children with bee suit and a small smoker and hive tool etc. Got my daughter fully kitted out, not that she will use the smoker yet. I think it all cost less than £45.

La configuración de mi colmena es muy típica en esta área. Llamada colmena de la perfección, no es más que una caja lanstrong (10 cuadrados de 420*200 mm).
Para the supers se utilizan bastidores de 115 mm de alto efectivo.
No uso excluidor de reinas, por lo que en verano suele ocupar un marco de la primera trasera.

Latest posts

Back