The Headless Beekeeper Messes Up Again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kazmcc - 'poly' = short for polystyrene which is a plastic. It doesn't make the bees 'sweaty', but it is more insulating than wood so the small colony inside is better able to regulate the temperature.

These boxes are mini- or mating- nucs. They are used to accomodate virgin queens until they get mated and start laying. They hold only a cupful or two of bees so are more economical on bees than full size nucs. Once the queen starts laying she can be used to re-queen a colony or for making up a full size nuc.

Kazmcc - 'poly' = short for polystyrene which is a plastic. It doesn't make the bees 'sweaty', but it is more insulating than wood so the small colony inside is better able to regulate the temperature.

These boxes are mini- or mating- nucs. They are used to accomodate virgin queens until they get mated and start laying. They hold only a cupful or two of bees so are more economical on bees than full size nucs. Once the queen starts laying she can be used to re-queen a colony or for making up a full size nuc.

kazmcc, google modernbeekeeping ,all one words, it is rooftops web site, it shows these hive under queen rearing and the other poly hives as well

lol:laughing-smiley-014 I'm a dope sometimes. I meant, you know, hard, flat plastic, like you get on a laptop.....didn't even stop to think what polystyrene was made from! Only time I've ever seen it is at xmas, packing the kids toys :D Thanks Repwoc, I seem to be going backwards lately, that's what happens when your medication slips down the back of the coffee pot, and you forget all about it.....doh!

Thanks for the tip to the site, I shall have a browse now, seeing as I can't sleep :)

Nice video, and interesting "mini-hive" nuc concept. Thank you; I will look out for more videos, and the website :lurk5:

Part Zero

This mini-epic is being launched a bit like Star Wars - in the sense the first film released starts in the middle of the story.

Here is Episode Zero showing one way of fitting starter strips to top bars. It is not the quickest way but is easy and creates little mess.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S49tkQvfwc[/ame]

It is all completely out of sequence but the main parts of the story, how to fill the nucs with bees and introduce queens will have to wait until next season as I didn't film this activity this year. These will probably come out as Episode 0.5.

Last edited:
More please that way i dont have to ask so many silly questions

Ah, so now I know what starter strips are, thanks rooftops :) I would love to try a tbh one day, when I have more experience.

Rooftops

Is that your voice narrating the video you posted above as it sounds like the same person who did the video Admin has posted about creaming honey.

Great voice for narrating imho clear and precise.
Are the range of various videos posted on an association site some where?

:cheers2:

Yes to all that - but my voice has also been likened to a 1950's public information film. Probably a more accurate description.

The videos are a motley lot and are not really gathered together yet, other than on U Tube itself . If you Google "BeekeeperDevon" you will find the site where most of these cinematic crimes have been interred.

I am trying to sort out recording the sound directly while the video is being made. My cheapo video camera does not have a remote mic so I am going to try recording my voice using initially a mobile phone fitted with a headset and then add it afterwards to the video. I've worked out how to convert the file format the 'phone uses (.amr) to MP3 or Wave and can then edit it in Audacity - but getting the sync right might be a trial.

Back