The fear is still there!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I've just been buzzed by a huge fly, and it touched me. I've not done the "waving my arms about" dance for ages. The racing heart, feeling things crawling on me, ultra awareness....it's all still there. I knew it was a fly, it's been buzzing about all evening, seems I still have the fear of buzzing things LOL.

I'm a strange one, aren't I? :eek:

I do the flapping arms thing with fly's bleeding horrid things lol

I've just been buzzed by a huge fly, and it touched me. I've not done the "waving my arms about" dance for ages. The racing heart, feeling things crawling on me, ultra awareness....it's all still there. I knew it was a fly, it's been buzzing about all evening, seems I still have the fear of buzzing things LOL.

I'm a strange one, aren't I? :eek:

I'm the same but have no problem with the bees. I think its because i know i have the suit on. Also i find that when i'm working in the hives that i'm concentrating so much on what i'm doing that i sort of forget about the buzzing and the bees all over my suit.

It amuses all who know me. Why am I so relaxed around bees that can sting me, but lose the plot with flies? They all take the mickey out of me, especially those who used to be on call for me if a bee or other buzzing thing came into my house lol.

I can still feel it on me :O

Now you see, I find the buzzing of bees quite relaxing. I know what you mean though, we are fully protected and people who watch me from a distance often ask how I can stand there with so many bees flying around me. I don't notice them, like you say, I am too focused on what I'm doing. If you took a video of me there I'd probably wonder how i did it myself lol

I'm with you Kaz, hate flies, dirty diseasey things. I don't go 'wavy' but I can't go to sleep if I can hear one buzzing around, I have to get up and try to swat it, same with a mozzy.

I'm with you Kaz, hate flies, dirty diseasey things. I don't go 'wavy' but I can't go to sleep if I can hear one buzzing around, I have to get up and try to swat it, same with a mozzy.

Oh my good lord no! I couldn't have one in my room when in bed! It might land on me?!

So, i'm not that odd after all? :)

Oh my good lord no! I couldn't have one in my room when in bed! It might land on me?!

We once had a bat flying around in our bedroom. We had no chance of getting it out so we just got into bed. My wife fell asleep straight away while I cowered under the duvet wondering when the thing was going to land on my face and suck my blood:eek:

Mosquitoes that buzz, never remember if its the male or female. The noise will wake me up.

We once had a bat flying around in our bedroom. We had no chance of getting it out so we just got into bed. My wife fell asleep straight away while I cowered under the duvet wondering when the thing was going to land on my face and suck my blood:eek:

LOL. I just couldn't cope.....think I'd take to my sofa for that one lol. I find if you switch all the lights out in the room, and turn the landing light on ( top of the stairs for those down sarrrf ) then flies will fly to the light.....then it's a quick leap out of bed and close the door. Ugh. The horrible crawling feeling they give me, like I can feel things touching me for ages after. Spiders have the same effect. :eek:

No, not odd at all, you're just towards the negative end of the fly-tolerant spectrum. Good aversive behaviour to protect yourself from infection by flies. And I'd have gone batty with a bat in the room, I'd definitely have abandoned the room (and the bat), however illogical. But if I was out walking among trees at dusk or dawn and there were bats flying around I'd enjoy their company. Now who's odd?

Oh I used to love to watch the bats in the evening. I'm quite lucky that even though I only live 1 mile from the city center of Manchester, we have a lot of green spaces and a lot of wildlife. We have bats flying over my house ( although, saying that, I've not seen them this year :( ) We even have parakeets in the park....they've lived there for about 5 years! About 8 of them. We've even had a golden pheasant in the local park at one point.

Only once gbh? Horseshoe bats here, homebred or near enough. And the cats have been known to bring one in to play with. We found a pipistrelle walking around in the downstairs shower once. With the window and door closed. Odd.

Horse flies here atm. Two casualties so far.

Horse flies .... you said it. I only have to see one (course you don't hear it) and I get the goose bumps. Over the years I have managed to make myself overcome the dread and allow them to land, because once they land THEIR REACTIONS ARE USELESS AND THEY ARE EASY PICKINGS!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back