The British Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
I have argued several times during the last 12 months that British weather, with it's variance and lack of predictability, frequently poses more difficult and demanding challenges for beekeepers than those in countries who's climates are more extreme, but stable and fairly predictable over long periods, only to have this idea rubbished 'in certain quarters'.

So - I feel somewhat vindicated to read in this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24305230 that in Britain we do indeed experience unique and very complex weather systems, principally due to our being an island positioned on the very edge of an ocean, and close to a major land mass. Well - you can read the rest for yourself.

I found the article very enlightening. Enjoy.

LJ

Ask Polyhive. Maybe stop trying to pick a fight with Finman; can't see any other reason for the thread.

I always say we have a very good climate, just lousy weather.

Due to the fact we're an island on the edge of the Atlantic (where most of the crap comes from) we have weather whilst larger land masses have climate - that's why the USA weather forecasts are in the main bery accurate and dependable - not because their met systems are better than ours. Fact - weather forecasting in college was a ral eye opener (and PITA)

Very sorry to have contributed to this thread without getting Finsky's express permission first. Afer all, he was the one who studied Met. and geograpgy during his sojourn in that great seat of learning (I can't recall the name of now)

Yes I've been an amateur and avid weather watcher since I did my Yachtmasters about 20 years ago ... the only time I could ever be certain of anything was whenever I left the solent or the coast of Brittany for a channel crossing I could be certain that the glorious, sunny, force 2/3, steady Southwesterly would turn into the worst gale driven rain, snow or hail about the time we got to mid channel ...time after time it happened !

As for the professional weather forecasters ... probably do the same as me ... look outside, if it's not raining, it's going to, or it's already raining !!

Sorry Finman, more chit chat to add to the angst !

Early indications are that weather will move to more mild next week with a SW feed so Summer i'd say is over but Winter not here yet.

Ask Polyhive. Maybe stop trying to pick a fight with Finman; can't see any other reason for the thread.

I was very particular not to personalise my comment - it was you who mentioned Finman by name. Your interpretation of my reasons for posting probably says more about your own personality than mine.

The BBC article is dated the 8th October - today is the 10th - d'you know - that may possibly have an outside chance of having something to do with my motivation for posting. Just maybe.

I think British beekeepers could do well to read that article, and take some comfort from the explanatory information within it, if for no other reason than to have a solid basis for a rebuttal when those from countries other than the UK (and for your benefit - not just from Finland), make light of the beekeeping conditions within these shores.

LJ

Hi LJ,
Thank you for submitting another very enjoyable article for those of us that are interested in beekeeping rather than beekeepers! Yes, the British weather is very unpredictable and the Brits are famous amongst other nationals for always talking about the weather. On this note I remember a very nice Finnish man who in his farewell speech stated that "I like English breakfast because it is always the same, but I don't like English weather because it is never the same" which raised a few laughs. Also, thank you to Roola for promising milder weather next week!

I've just managed to view the article ... it wouldn't come up earlier - I assume everyone else on the forum was trying to look at it !

Anyway, it's a good read and something which those of us who sail or live near the sea will testify can be even more complex than the article suggests ... sea breezes are misnamed .. they can reach nearly gale force in gusts and the confluence of the sea and land makes for some very interesting weather variations compared to areas a little inland.

I've been pelted with hailstones the size of peas at one end of the Solent and knocked down in a gust in June and by the time we reached the other end it was like midsummer on a lake !

PS:Roola ... you should have your own weather thread on here ... you are right more than the forecasters !!

This is actually a very good and educating thread with a link to some very interesting and useful information - ideal to the forum. People need to lower their hackles now I think and grow up.

This is actually a very good and educating thread with a link to some very interesting and useful information - ideal to the forum. People need to lower their hackles now I think and grow up.

Amen to that!
Cazza

................................... in Britain we do indeed experience unique and very complex weather systems, principally due to our being an island positioned on the very edge of an ocean, and close to a major land mass.
LJ

You should move to Portsmouth.
We are protected from the usual 'British Weather by a barier called the Isle of Wight, and being in the far south we benefit from warmer temperatures.

We are protected from the usual 'British Weather by a barier called the Isle of Wight, and being in the far south we benefit from warmer temperatures.

Hi Steve - the south of England must be a great place to keep bees - especially around the South Downs, I would think ... Warm weather, chalkland flowers - gotta be a great combination. :)

Weather is absolutely fundamental to beekeeping, so why a thread about understanding the dynamics underpinning our weather has been moved to the 'off topic bin' is beyond me. Can't see me posting about the weather again.

LJ

Yes, but it's still Pompey!

I love that neck of the woods and try and take as many holidays as I can down there, you would think I would have had enough of the place having all my childhood summer holidays with my grandparents in Weston, it must be in the blood

You want to try Gosport !!! (Best not let SWMBO hear that ... she was born there !!).

So was my aunty Marilyn and she agrees with me it is a right kahzi - until we moved into the naval dockyard this year our 'permanet base' in the area was hammerhead 'H' just across from the Mary Mouse in Haslar marina, before that it was the old gunwharf when HMS Nelson was still a dier training base and our shoreside support staff occupied Building 58 (affectionately known as fort Fumble. It's now a pub so no change there, it's still full of dribbling P!ssheads!! The marine superintendents old office is nw the gent's toilet, quite apt really- only one thing as depressing as the crossing on the ferry to Gosport - is the return to Pompey :D At least they've pulled down the tricorne!!!

I wanted to steal this from daughters university flat in Gosport.

Latest posts

Back