the best hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your laying rates are a bit high though, my books are saying 1500 per day though I suppose that the more prolific queens may hit that 2000 a day rate.

PH

to tell the truth i belive it would be more realistic to say 1500 , but so many of these newbee's seem to have brought super bees that can fill 10 brood boxes over a weekend and none of them have brought veils cause the bees are so gentle etc etc etc, am i the only one that still uses a single brood box thats big enough for the girls to live in, or is it because i have worked with a proffessional and know the need to only do half the work you get with one brood box i only use two when i want to produce some nuc material other wise to much agro for me and in all the years i have been going i have never seen a cramped dadant brood box ever and i have seen a fair few hundred of those is eygpt and saudi

LOL mate.

did you get your pm?

I started another thread on the laying rate matter.

PH

The roofs do not clip on and to be honest need the brick.

So. Given they need a brick can I use that? Of course I can.

In line from front to back position all is well. At right angles it is dead.

Vertical it needs attention, see record card.

Then there are painted bricks.. yellow is cells, blue is virgins, and so on...

PH

Don't know who makes those in the german b movies,but they do look neat,with the clip over the top.

Interesting. New concept for me can you post a vid link please?

PH

Geoff - are you suggesting that you can simply buy a commercial brood box (with commercial frames) and replace it with a standard box for a National if you want more space?

Thanks

The commercial fits the same floor area as the national so fits the national floor, QE, crownboard, supers and roof. The commercial brood frames are wider and deeper than the national. The commercial box takes 11 frames. You can convert an existing national brood box to a 10 frame commercial by putting a Hamilton conertor on top.
At the start I bought a complete national hive but after researching decided I wanted a bigger brood body so converted that one using a Hamilton convertor. I now have several commercial hives waiting for bees. I also find that national hive components are generally cheaper than other hives.
White Park - where do you get your gear from? I usually drive up to Wynne Jones at Ruthin. Now theres a nice chap who knows his bees.
I am just down the road from you at Whitchurch

The poly hives i've seen on some german film have flush fitting roofs held on by clips,does the roof on these in the pictures have clips somewhere?

You see that huge stone=clips.

But I dont use poly bottom or poly roof: first they are very expencive and second, difficult to keep clean.

Here is my one hive (summers best) splitted for transporting to main pastures

I use rain cover as basement in nursing: left

Wooden inner cover has insulation: insulation + moisture system.

White boxes are my 43 years old wooden boxes. I use them as supers.

In picture I need extra bottoms in transporting.
At destination I piled the hive again http://bees.freesuperhost.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/Kuva_036.jpg

Kuva_033.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back