The Bee Inspector

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel sympathetic when my neighbours have foulbrood, but when the seasonal bee inspector rang to say be wanted to look at my bees on the allotment this week, I felt the same feeling as I did when the children brought home the letter from school saying that someone in the class had head lice and everyone would have to be treated AGAIN. I know, I know; head lice like clean hair and you don't have to be a dirty beekeeper to get it EFB, but every year the apiaries close to the allotment seem to get EFB.

He was keen to get on and see them and since I already knew that beekeepers in the other local association had had EFB confirmed and that a few of them were close to me, I thought it best too. I was at work and he was local so I said he could look at the bees without me. I warned him one colony was playing up last week before I put a bit of fondant on, but he wasn't worried.

I had almost stopped worrying. I have really, really been looking for EFB since I got the first online notification early in the season, that was so close to the allotment. I had a scare when one of the nucs got chalkbrood and the dead larvae looked wet and mushy. They then dried to look just like chalkbrood. I e-mailed FERA anyway to say I had a brood disease ?chalkbrood?

He finished inspecting when I was still at work and rang to give the all clear. What a relief. Too many close shaves on that site. They over winter less well and build up more slowly in the Spring because it is in a depression and they hardly make any honey. Once I have the keys to the new wildlife garden in the local park I'll move a couple more colonies off that site and to their new home. I know it is more work having my bees on more sites, but I feel the bees at the allotment are vulnerable.

Tesco have delivered the bags of sugar. That was easy! I'll make up the syrup 2 kilo/1 litre and start feeding this weekend as the ivy is about to burst into flower any minute and I prefer not to have the brood nest back filled with rock solid ivy honey.

During the examination I felt like I was at school waiting for an exam

Latest posts

Back