The Barefoot Beekeeper & not using smoke?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am just learning about natural beeekeeping and TBHs. I have just read and reviewed The Barefoot Beekeeper. Is this still a popular book?

Anyhow ... I am wondering, what would happen if I opened my Langstroth hive without using smoke? Any experience anyone?

Thanks,

Roger

Why tell your bees their home is on fire? Use a water spray and tell them it's raining...........
If they're in a good mood you often don't even need the water spray......:coolgleamA:

The book is excellent, and to my mind a breath of fresh air!

Anyhow ... I am wondering, what would happen if I opened my Langstroth hive without using smoke? Any experience anyone?

Roger

Very much depends on the nature of your bees, time of year, weather, skill. e.t.c......may be nothing, may be something you wish you hadn't tried.

Best to have your smoker to hand just in case.

Cazza

i have a national hive as well as tbh, i got a nuc and intended to chop the frames to fit top bar but didn't want to waste frames, so decided to go with Nat till next year, and put some top bars in for next year, hoping to split next year, when inspecting my hive have only used sugar water in spray bottle light spray no problems as yet,time will tell

I always light a smoker. And rarely use it.

On Monday I invited a newbie around to see my TBHs in action. It was dryish - and at 15C warm (compared to the previous month).Lit smoker and never used it once in five TBHs Had a spray : never used it. Went bare handed as normal : only 1 sting.

The secret is in the weather, the bees * and how careful you are in your handling and closing of bars on TBHs. I have a variety of methods which all work. Despite taking care, we inspected all five plus a quick peep into 2 warres in under one hour so hardly dawdling.

* I don't tolerate bees which follow, rise up when you open up or run on combs..

I opened a National at our Association apiary last Saturday : no smoke , no stings , quiet bees.

It's definitely NOT the hive type no matter what anyone says ( in my view).

I always keep a water spray bottle handy and never use it except for moving chunks of bees away# . Sugar water is in my view a waste of time: makes everything sticky and attracts bees - just what you do not want.

# manipulations only.

I agree with madasafish - I always light the smoker, but do not use it unless the bees are unfriendly, and then as little as possible.

Useful to have the smoker handy if you get stung - use to mask pheromones

I have a hive you would struggle with madafish! Depends so much on the bees, as well as the handling! Both are important!
E

I have a hive you would struggle with madafish! Depends so much on the bees, as well as the handling! Both are important!
E

:iagree:

I am just learning about natural beeekeeping and TBHs. I have just read and reviewed The Barefoot Beekeeper. Is this still a popular book?

Thanks,

Roger

The sequel, "opening hives cock-out" contains some of the worst advice ever writen about bees.

I can also recommend a recent discovery: Olbas Oil.

A drop rubbed into the back of the bare hands repels bees and reduces stings. (on the hands only)

At least so far for two weeks.

My sting count was averaging about2/week : zero stings for two weeks.

But then the bees are happy and contented with nectar flows . Wait for a bad tempered hive :)

I can also recommend a recent discovery: Olbas Oil.

A drop rubbed into the back of the bare hands repels bees and reduces stings. (on the hands only)

At least so far for two weeks.

My sting count was averaging about2/week : zero stings for two weeks.

But then the bees are happy and contented with nectar flows . Wait for a bad tempered hive :)

Keep us updated,very interesting.
Anyone else fancy doing a trial with Olbas ?

I always light a smoker. And rarely use it.

On Monday I invited a newbie around to see my TBHs in action. It was dryish - and at 15C warm (compared to the previous month).Lit smoker and never used it once in five TBHs Had a spray : never used it. Went bare handed as normal : only 1 sting.

The secret is in the weather, the bees * and how careful you are in your handling and closing of bars on TBHs. I have a variety of methods which all work. Despite taking care, we inspected all five plus a quick peep into 2 warres in under one hour so hardly dawdling.

* I don't tolerate bees which follow, rise up when you open up or run on combs..

I opened a National at our Association apiary last Saturday : no smoke , no stings , quiet bees.

It's definitely NOT the hive type no matter what anyone says ( in my view).

I always keep a water spray bottle handy and never use it except for moving chunks of bees away# . Sugar water is in my view a waste of time: makes everything sticky and attracts bees - just what you do not want.

# manipulations only.

Madasafish, this sounds like a fantastic idea for a video to share some of your ideas. I prefer to use little smoke and bare hands (though the propels is a nightmare at this time of year, so wear vinyls) and would like to see best practice for TBHs as I am very open to running one (or possibly a Warré if my brother will build it for me).

Carbolic soap was recommended in days of yore , I should imagine it still obtainable ?
VM

I have some Olbas Oil somewhere, I'll give it a go next inspection and report back:cool:

V interesting - I often use an Olbas inhaler at night and usually carry Olbas 'flavoured' tissues. So far this year one attempted sting in back of glove, that's all.
And I always thought it was because I had such nice quiet bees!

Someone suggested clove oil recently and I've a rag in a jar in my bag now and most times I have been using that over the last couple of months. Bees have seemed to largely keep away, but does seem to fade after a couple of hives.

Olbas Oil includes :-

Cajuput Oil, Clove Oil, Eucalyptus Oil , Juniperberry Oil, Levomenthol , Methyl Salicylate , Mint Oil (a very small amount of cloves oil.)

http://www.boots.com/en/Olbas-Oil-15ml_641569/

I would empathise that one drop on the back of each hand is enough : the smell is very powerful.

(It washes off easily)

Bees used to make a beeline (!) for my cuffs and back of hands, land and try to burrow, get caught in hair and sting.. hence my ytd total of c 40.

They now no longer land: or touch and go.;)

Latest posts

Back