testing honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
can anyone tell me how to do a organoleptic test for eg ragwort as some one has asked me as the council has asked them to have a proficiency in the test to get his food hygene certificate

its some one who has started last year and wants to supply a farm shop, the farm shop has asked if he has a cert from the council health department as he has one, and he has approched the council and someone has been round and gave him a list of thing to do

This doesn't sound like a requirement for any food hygiene test I've ever seen details of..... what level hygiene certificate does he require?

he's just been in touch with the environmental health dept of his council for some to come and see what he has to do.

I can't see how an organoleptic test is particularly relevant. But that's councils for you.

Organoleptic is how it looks and tastes. As far as I know its not lab based.
Just say he'll taste a sample from each batch and if it tastes odd or appears abnormal will either discard or send for lab exam.

Buzzlodge is correct.
It's a simple taste test.

Hold a jar up to the light and look at the contents.
Smell and taste a sample.
If all is well it has passed the test.

You can do the level 2 food safety and hygiene certificate as an online course.
It costs around £12 and takes 3 hours.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on the cost I was mentioning what we paid some 12 years ago. Nice to see something coming down.

Ragwort has a bitter taste I believe. MInd you if the land is being kept rightly it shouldn't be there in the first place. Might be worth pointing out to the council that they have a duty to oversee it's removal... (chortle)

PH

I’m interested in different honeys and was actually planning on placing a couple of hives on some land that is covered in Ragwort. May taste ‘horrible’ in general opinion but that’s what everyone seemed to think about Ivy Honey - that now seems to have a following......
Just as well I’m not planning on doing that test - I’d be doomed even before I’d started!

What's the issue with ragwort honey anyway?
I understand that over grazing the plant is bad news for horses, but didnt the BFA come to the conclusion there was zero health risk from the honey ?

Buzzlodge is correct.
It's a simple taste test.

Hold a jar up to the light and look at the contents.
Smell and taste a sample.
If all is well it has passed the test.

Nice one. I'll remember that. Didn't realise I did an "organoleptic test" on every batch! Bullsh*t baffles brains:)

Back