Tentative steps 😊

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehivewales

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello and thanks for accepting me!

I am researching about keeping bees, we don’t want to sell or produce by products, I feel I’m more of a guardian to be honest, and I’m not sure if my emotions can take the trauma of losing a colony🙈

That said, I am fascinated with all aspects of being a bee keeper, so in the spring I’m going to take a local course to see if it’s for me.

Great, informative site so thanks in advance, and please forgive me if I ask silly questions😊
Tracy 🐝

Welcome, sounds like you're going about it in the right way. Join your local beekeeping association now. They should have regular meets during the colder months where they will discuss all things beekeeping. You may find someone in need of a spring helper, you will get hands on quickly like that, and at very little cost.

I am researching about keeping bees, we don’t want to sell or produce by products, I feel I’m more of a guardian to be honest, and I’m not sure if my emotions can take the trauma of losing a colony🙈

That said, I am fascinated with all aspects of being a bee keeper, so in the spring I’m going to take a local course to see if it’s for me.

Great, informative site so thanks in advance, and please forgive me if I ask silly questions😊
Tracy 🐝
Welcome to the best beekeeping forum anywhere ...

A good start will be the course from your local association - they usually start in January so get on with it now.

Treat yourself to a good introductory book such as Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion. It's not a how to book but it will let you know what you may be letting yourself in for.

You will find that you cannot just 'keep bees' ... bees will produce a surplus of honey most years ... they will also make wax. Unless you want a house full of these products sitting in buckets you are going to have to sell them or give them away ...

Honey Bees don't really need 'guardians' - they will appreciate human assistance and provision of a beehive - but, like any livestock ... becoming a 'keeper' brings with it responsibility. Bees will swarm and you have to take responsibility and deal with this inevitable consequence, you have to monitor for disease and parasites and deal with these and many other things these fascinating creatures will throw at you.

It's a big commitment and during the season will take up a lot of time... you can't really just have one hive ... you need at least two - and some spare kit. It's not a cheap hobby to start out on ...

But, good luck, new beekeepers are always welcome to keep the craft alive.

Tracy 🐝
Welcome from me too. @Blunt Spike and @pargyle have covered it but I would like to add that the bees that DO need guardians are the solitary bees which are in serious decline. So to add to your beehive make a space wild and bee friendly and maybe invest in a few decent solitary bee hotels and not only will you be able to enjoy your bees but also the wild ones.
Whereabouts in Wales are you?...there are a few of us here ....some Welsh and some off comers like me

If you Google how to make your garden solitary bee friendly there’s lots of info.
I spend much time watching leaf cutter bees trimming the rose leaves and making their nests. Mining bees use holes in the wall and the gaps between the paving. Last summer Stan took a dead pyracantha off the wall and as soon as the plugs were out of the holes there was a bee there.
I made him drill new holes for supporting wires.
I leave wasp nests alone unless their position poses a danger

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a newbie too (I have no bees yet), but the help I've gotten her has already been amazing. No questions seems to be too silly!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a newbie too (I have no bees yet), but the help I've gotten her has already been amazing. No questions seems to be too silly!
No such thing as a silly question ...they are just ones you don't know the answer to that sound simple- they rarely are as simple as they seem.

Solitary bees and bumbles are fascinating creatures and all beekeepers should be helping them as well as caring for our honey bees, Fortunately, it's a lot easier and cheaper to provide for the wild bees in your location than it is to keep honey bees. Plenty to keep you entertained and engaged until you dive headlong into keeping honey bees ...

That's a safe step before pursuing the real thing. Good luck with the beekeeping course.

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back