Ten frames in Eleven Frame Brood Box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Thorpe

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
A friend and I recently acquired a NUC with six National frames that we installed in our kit built National brood box. I won't bore you with the details but we ended up with a ten frame castellated spacer in the brood box with four extra fresh frames of foundation and now, two weeks after installation the bees have expanded the existing frames and filled up the gaps. There is also burr comb on the new frames.

I have found out how we ended up with ten frames in the brood box and after doing some research I wondered if it is feasible to put a new brood box with eleven frames on top of the existing brood box, and then sort the ten frame box out at a later date.

We would be grateful of any suggestions or advice.

Many thanks,

Nick

A friend and I recently acquired a NUC with six National frames that we installed in our kit built National brood box. I won't bore you with the details but we ended up with a ten frame castellated spacer in the brood box with four extra fresh frames of foundation and now, two weeks after installation the bees have expanded the existing frames and filled up the gaps. There is also burr comb on the new frames.

I have found out how we ended up with ten frames in the brood box and after doing some research I wondered if it is feasible to put a new brood box with eleven frames on top of the existing brood box, and then sort the ten frame box out at a later date.

We would be grateful of any suggestions or advice.

Many thanks,

Nick
Yes just add the box on top no problems. Once the queen moves up you can separate with a queen excluder and use the old brood as a honey super for the remainder of the season.

Other operations involve removing 'live' frames -e.g. a poly box that has been badly damaged and is leaking bees out and weather in.
That would be an emergency situation but even this issue will have the frames with PITA thick halos of stores drawn out before too long

If you know what height you set the existing runners at you could possibly just gently hold the frames in the nuc and /or a frame friendly box while you remove them if the new box won't arrive soon.

But having a spare box is never a bad idea

Thank you both for your prompt response and help, which is much appreciated.

We do have a spare brood box so we should be able to get this sorted ASAP. Meanwhile we would still be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Nick

With your new box you may want to think about metal frame runners as they save wear and tear on the working surfaces.

But check what height the tops of the end panels are set at to provide your chosen "beespace"
Bottom,which makes the frames top bars sit flush with the top of the brood box,or less commonly Top so the frames bottom bars are flush with the bottom of the box.

Each to their own, but make your mind up and stick to your choice because mixing the two will be somewhat adhesive.

You may have to add or remove a bit of material to or from the endpanels if you choose against what is already set up although some kits are designed for metalwork from the outset.

Whichever suggestion ,Ian's or mine,it's no big deal you will be fine.
There are no rules- just consequences

Latest posts

Back