Tempting them down....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleanor20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National 1 TBH 1WBC
Am feeling pretty frustrated so please be gentle with me, but about 11.30 this morning a large swarm took advantage of the first sunshine in weeks and left the hive, heading almost straight upwards. They have settled in a yew tree who's branch span is about 10ft from their original hive, and at least 25 feet up! I have placed a nucleus box, with some old brood comb laced with lemongrass oil, on top of a stone wall at about 6feet high off the ground, directly below the cluster, but there does not seem to be any interest in it.

Would I be better to move the box further away, and if so where to? How far away any top tips. Any other suggestions?

Wherever you put it it's a chance in hundreds, but further away will give you more chance and make it a bb not a nuc

:iagree:
Had more or less the same a few weeks ago but mine were about 40ft up in an Ash. I put a BB below it on a garage roof and had a fair deal of interest. I watched them take off as they began swirling and I wondered if they would or not.
Not.
They went no more than 20 yards the opposite way and settled in a hedge, conveniently within six inches of the top.
Good luck.

Large swarm, large box. The optimum size seems to be around National deep.

Timber with solid floor, smallish entrance (say 50mm to 100mm x normal 22mm deep), as high as practical (a couple metres), entrance facing south-ish, a couple clean but, empty and old, brooded frames and a few spots of lemon grass oil is about the best you can do 200m away would be good, but compromises are often necessary.

Some comb crumbs on the floor may be an attraction (seems to be for one member of the forum!)

Don't think I have forgotten much - oh and a slice of luck is always needed!

RAB

I put the nuc out as that's all I have! I do have a large cardboard box in the shed, will also put that out in the area with some brace comb off cuts and some lemongrass oil and keep everything crossed!

Have ordered another hive.....

Fingers crossed

:driving:As far as catching it is concerned o90o is right, good sized box with a large portion of luck. You should be ready to follow when they move on and fingers crossed they’ll land somewhere a little easier to collect them.

Martin

Got two shallows?

:iagree:

two shallows ,four bits of timber to make the upstands of the floor with a potting tray with a brick on as a roof ( or estate agents correx sign board)...

some of brood comb and quality foundation in frames but anything you have and also as many becasue you are better they extend a super frame or draw off a plain top bar than attach their comb to the roof

Last edited:
Hi Eleanor,

I'm in N. Wilts and have just taken delivery of 2 full poly hives if you need to borrow a brood box for a while. Happy to come and give you a hand as well if you think there's any chance of getting up to them. Whereabouts are you? I'm free this evening and tomorrow morning. I'll PM you my number.

Nick

BIG thank you to FreeFall for helping today. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos to share, too busy trying to be helpful and hoping he didn't FreeFall out of my tree!
Really pleased that my bees do not have to spend another night out in this rain.

Do I take it Freefall came over and helped

and you collected the swarm?

BIG thank you to FreeFall for helping today. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos to share, too busy trying to be helpful and hoping he didn't FreeFall out of my tree!
Really pleased that my bees do not have to spend another night out in this rain.

You're welcome - happy to help, it was an experience! Are they still in residence?

@Richard - Yep, we got them in the end. After an hour or so of climbing, minor tree surgery and improvising a 'nuc on a stick' they were all safe and sound out of the rain. Only got one pic myself (sorry about the URL mods ;) ) ...

Yes they are still with us. New hive all ready to put them into tomorrow, assuming the weather forecast is correct......

Hi,
What a nice gent. Nice website too.

FFall / eleanor

Thanks for letting us know - glad it worked out

"nuc on a stick"

:)

Latest posts

Back