Temporary eviction of Welsh bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"the idea is they will find their way back to the roof"

Oh really? I suspect the people at the sharp end are fairly sure that's exactly where they won't be going. Especially if the roofers do the job properly.

And those bees in the photo don't exactly look "black" to me.

James

Oh really? I suspect the people at the sharp end are fairly sure that's exactly where they won't be going. Especially if the roofers do the job properly.

James
There is some orange banding but that’s not to say there not welsh blacks

James
God this forum can be a depressing read.

In addition to maintaining access for the bats that roost in the roof, additional small gaps around the eaves and under the slates at the ends of the building will be carefully added so the bees can return to their old home.

God this forum can be a depressing read.

In addition to maintaining access for the bats that roost in the roof, additional small gaps around the eaves and under the slates at the ends of the building will be carefully added so the bees can return to their old home.

Yeah, I can read, thanks.

James

Is the plastic that extends up the arm attached to the nitrile gloves at the cuff or is it just elastic there?

Last edited:
When I read this, yesterday, [ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68604572 ] two issues in addition to those raised above struck me.
1. "When the house was placed in National Trust care in 1952, it came with an instruction not to disturb the bees." Would that be a legally enforceable restrictive covenant? If so, could the NT lose the title to the property and to whom would it then pass?
2. Somebody advertises Welsh Black Bees for sale on Anglesey https://www.welshblackbees.co.uk/ . Maybe this suggests local expertise and interest in such a rarity. The need for purity in breeding is one of their concerns. They seem concerned about hybridisation where WBBs are not remote from other bees - is this NT property sufficiently isolated to guarantee purity?
So have the NT been "sold a pup"?

Back