Telling People You Keep Bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was called to remove some bees from a compost bin.

It was obvious they were bumbles rather than honeybees, but they were convinced they were honeybees. the compost bin was next to an alleyway leading to a school and were a becoming a nuisance.

The lady was really nice. she was a Primary school teacher to the school and had her face glued to the window whilst I was doing the deed.
The guy arrived as I was starting, started asking questions...

Why are you here? (duh!.. I was already in the bee suit when I arrived)
Who called you (duh! again!... your wife!)
Is that your car on the driveway? ( :-/ )
Have you come far? (only 15 miles (15 minutes in country miles))
Why are you not killing them? (I don't kill bees... possibly illegal depending on the type)
Why are you moving them? (because I don't want to kill them)
Can't you just leave them? (yes... your wife asked if I can move them)
How much is this going to cost? (I knew he was beating around the bush... it is not... I am doing it for the bees)
Why would you do it for them? (because many are endangered)
What is it going to cost? (nothing!)
What are you getting out of it? (I like bees!)
How much are you getting for them? (nothing... I will be letting them go at our farm)
What money are you making from them (I am not making anything from them)
Why are you doing it? (for the bees)
there must be something you are making from them (your wife made me a coffee... that's all)

This went on for a while. The guy just could not comprehend that I was doing something selfless other than the satisfaction that I was doing some 'good', and not making a profit. He got to the point where he thought I was casing the house to burgle him.

Isnt there a law about how close to a public footpath a compost bin can be?

I work in a residential home and the old folk are very interested in them some of them kept bees when they were younger, and one of our male nurses from india was telling me how he kept bees there,they were kept in a pot urn they had no protective suits the urns were smashed to get the honey! rather him than me.

I work in a residential home and the old folk are very interested in them some of them kept bees when they were younger, and one of our male nurses from india was telling me how he kept bees there,they were kept in a pot urn they had no protective suits the urns were smashed to get the honey! rather him than me.

Just like back before national hives here. Just killed the bees in the skeps.

@Peteinwilts, I should maybe have suggested that he was a lucky guy to have such a friendly wife . . . Maybe ask if he ever works nights? Amusing though!

Usually a sort of glazed expression, followed by, "I like honey" - and hints that I should give them some. For free, of course.

Various - but lots of people are aware of the bee problems. Some people tell me about the bees they have in their garden. Honey makes the top three too.

I met someone who works at a local wood yard and my first question to him was 'do they sell sawdust' .. possibly not the first question he'd expect to be asked. He did say they sell cedar to some beekeepers though and might be able to sort us a little discount. :)
So I think my woodworking husband will be getting a gift of some lovely cedar at some point.

Usually a sort of glazed expression, followed by, "I like honey" - and hints that I should give them some. For free, of course.
along the lines of how many friendly neighbours there are when they know you have a car repair workshop.

@PeteinWilts

I agree people are very surprised that you would be helpful, it's very sad that you just can't be nice - that you must be after something... one reason I loved Thailand people were just nice 'as it's easier to be nice, why wouldn’t you be nice to others?'.

I've had my bees for a month now and word has got out, locally. Generally the first question was "How are the bees doing".
Yesterday was a first. A neighbour asked "How are OUR bees doing" Suddenly, after taking an interest, that neighbour has become increasingly proprietorial.
I must warn them all about trying the feed the bees with honey! The idea that bees are in trouble has really entered the mind-set and they may regard bees as stray cats that need feeding!

Drop a hint that the odd bag of sugar would help them..

Yes i get stung.........no its not that bad.........yes its called Varroa its a nasty mite.

next bit was ..........no i havent got any honey yet.

now i can say yes! i have Honey and its very nice and No you cant have any.

i recon its worth £150 a jar on what i have spent with out costing in any of my time at all...............

I try not to get involved with telling people I keep bees as I usually get the same comments.
Bees are in trouble......I then have to explain why they aren't.
Don't they have a nasty bug, yes its called varroa but it be can be kept at bay.
How many hives do you have........how many, really? (yes really)
Do you sell honey....yes we sell at craft fairs, farmers markets and several London outlets
Can I buy some honey.....of course you can its £xxx................................................HOW MUCH TESCO SELL IT FOR £3 A POUND!!!
S

Last edited:
Normally, the question is, 'does that mean you will have some honey?'
I had been saying 'no, not in my first year'. However, the 25kg bucket puts a lie to that.

:-[...I then have to explain why they aren't.

Oh! But they are. How many feral colonies do you know of?

That is the true comparison, not how many are managed by beekeepers. Like comparing wild with zoo-kept animals.

RAB

I get.... Oh! I was thinking about keeping a few bees in my garden!

Its not what they say but what they think! Many people regard male beekeepers as bearded eccentrics (reinforced by that fact many associations have such beekeepers amongst their ranks!)

I am surprised how many people ask me how _I_ make the honey...... I was asked today how long do I boil it to make it 'safe' . I always do my best to explain - but very concious of becoming a bee bore and loosing all sympathy for the cause!!!!

Latest posts

Back