"telling of the bees" - who needs a shrink ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Been on this forum for a few years now but dont remember seeing this before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telling_the_bees

"The telling of the bees is a traditional European custom in which bees would be told of important events in their keeper's lives, such as births, marriages, or departures and returns in the household.

If the custom was omitted or forgotten and the bees were not "put into mourning" then it was believed a penalty would be paid, such as the bees leaving their hive, stopping the production of honey, or dying"

Yours with his lucky heather

I always tell the bees - last time was when Mrs T died at Garn cottage, she always kept an eye on them during bad weather or whatever and would give me a ring if needed - some of her last words to me when I visited her on her deathbed were "how are the bees?" so it was only right I tell them of the passing of their landlady

Last edited:
I told the bees my father in law and my mother died.
I told them when I got ill. They hummed reassuringly.

I always talk to my bees. It probably does nothing for them but it helps to keep me calm and focussed!
E

I always talk to my bees. It probably does nothing for them but it helps to keep me calm and focussed!
E

Yes ... so do I .. I've also told them of events - births, deaths and marriages. Superstitious ? Yes, probably, but who does it harm ?

When you are trying to anticipate someone's next move talking does not do it in my experience. However, I do get much pleasure in just observing the comings and goings.

I talk to them all the time I'm inspecting, mainly asking them to forgive me if I get anything wrong. I always tell them what nice little bees they are when they're gentle and I always thank them at the end of the inspection. As Enrico said it does help me to concentrate especially when there's a loud buzzing in my ear hole.

Always talk to the bees here too! Pour all my woes out ...... at least they don't answer back!

Latest posts

Back