Tbh nuc!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Apiaries. 17 Hives. 0 Nuc
Ever heard of anyone doing this? :nono:
If so was it successful?
I have a request for a nucleus of bees with mated queen but in tbh format.
I'm in process of constructing/modifying a National 5 frame Nuc box.
ie, slope either end down to 5 inch gap in centre of box, also made it into an omf floor.
I plan to start it by just inserting a bar in the centre of a National, and after it is part drawn in a day or so move it into the tbh Nuc. Then when I have them, move the contents of newly mated colony into the tbh Nuc, and feeding.
Anyone done this before? Will it work.
Bob.:mad:

No two tbh,s are the same, hence may have problems with compatibility. Cut down space in TBH with follower board to start off. Move it as colony expands. If size is right, or with a bit of jigging, you can start off a Top bar in a national with no problems

Last edited:
If so was it successful?
ie, slope either end down to 5 inch gap in centre of box, also made it into an omf floor.
I plan to start it by just inserting a bar in the centre of a National, and after it is part drawn in a day or so move it into the tbh Nuc. Then when I have them, move the contents of newly mated colony into the tbh Nuc, and feeding.
Anyone done this before? Will it work.
Bob.:mad:

Perhaps easier to convert a BB half with sloping sides as with TBH and the other to fit 4 or 5 frames. The bees will naturally expand from the frames to the top bars. With work’s well if you have a nuc ready to move onto a full size brood or otherwise you can adjust a full bb by transferring the brood and some stores and shaking the rest of the frames into the box and what you do with the spare frames after that? I have done this twice now over the past two years and works ok.

An even better alternative would be to run a swarm into the TBH nuc.

If so was it successful?
No two tbh,s are the same, hence may have problems with compatibility. ...

Surely Bob's *first* problem is to make a nuc that is compatible with whatever TBH the customer has in mind.
There is no single "TBH format".
So getting hold of the precise details is important.

Incidentally, Elvin at Majorbeehives in Sandwich sells TBH nucs to match his TBHs.

Having sorted out the hardware, establishing the bees in there is the second part of the puzzle.
Didn't someone on here make a hybrid hive that took both a few National and some Top Bars together... ?
// Added ANSWER - Yes, Ratcatcher - http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=270796&postcount=4

Last edited:
Biobees has plans for a TBH nuc : cut down a full size one to whatever length you want.

Mine are 18inch long - I have three all self built (eg badly)

Tbh. / nuc/ natural bee keeping ! Creating nucs seems be be counter the ideal/ethics of tbh bee tenders ?
But what do I know? I'm only an old fuddy duddy. :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbh. / nuc/ natural bee keeping ! Creating nucs seems be be counter the ideal/ethics of tbh bee tenders ?
VM

I sort of agree VM. This is the only case where I feel a package with homebred queen ("swarm") would seem entirely appropriate. Gets over the differing shapes of the tbh.

Hi

Does whoever asked u for a TBH nuc already have the hive, if so you could take the hive and do a shook swarm and hand back when established. At the very least you could take the correct frames and establish on those. Even if the angle of your hive walls differs a bit of trimming will see things right. This will save you a lot of hassle.

Ian

VM

Ethics? What's that?

If it's self made it's cheap and it works...

This is the only case where I feel a package with homebred queen ("swarm") would seem entirely appropriate.

Definitely agree a package is more appropriate here.

I don't agree it's the only scenario where a package is good. Advantages are:
- low varroa load
- a significantly lower disease risk generally
- a lower swarm risk in 1st season
- allow for a much simpler standard definition
- compatible with any hive type
- have a much shorter lead-time for creation
- travel easier
- 3 mile rule doesn't apply
- allow the beginner to start with 100% brand new frames

I can only think of 2 advantages for a nuc:
- Slightly easier to install
- Higher chance of honey crop in year 1

I agree a swarm shaken into the TBH is the easiest option, but another possibility is:

take some of the Top Bars from the TBH, and fit them with wire mesh (#1).

Having drawn some combs on foundationless frames in a National, cut the combs away near the top, and transfer these to the modified Top Bars.

#1 - there are several methods for installing cut comb into TBH's, the one I favour is to take some fairly lightweight square wire mesh (say) 1" square pitch. Staple this to the side of a Top Bar, then lay it down on the bench, bar uppermost.
Then, using wire cutters, snip every third intersection (or cross). Bend the wires upwards, so that 4 spikes are formed. Holding the Top Bar so that the modified mesh hangs down, tilt these spikes very slightly upwards, like the cells of a honeycomb.

Take the cut comb, and press it gently onto the spikes, keeping the top of the comb as near to the Top Bar as possible, and install the comb. One-sided mesh should be adequate, but another plain mesh could always be stapled to the other side of the Top Bar for added security - then tie the meshes together with small cable ties.

The meshes can be removed just as soon as the bees have repaired the comb, then re-used.

.... or shake a swarm in.

LJ

I agree a swarm shaken into the TBH is the easiest option, but another possibility is:

take some of the Top Bars from the TBH, and fit them with wire mesh (#1).

Having drawn some combs on foundationless frames in a National, cut the combs away near the top, and transfer these to the modified Top Bars.

.... or shake a swarm in.

LJ

Or you can take combs on National frames and do a Chop and Crop - Lots of Info on that at Natural beekeeping..

Back