Tamper-proof seals?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By coincidence I was speaking with a Bee keeping friend only last week, who long ago was contacted by a store who bought lots of honey off him.

One of his set honey jars was returned when it appeared someone had interfered with it, in fact quite a few people had, it was a honey taster jar from one of his sale days.

The jar had been labelled and sold to the store in error.

He now seals all his jars and I intend to do the same, I just need my seals which will be purchased shortly.

I also believe it does look very professional.

Thanks, but...

Would I buy anything in a jar that could have been messed with?

...yes, all the time in France, we don't have tamper proof seals except on products imported from the UK.

Chris

BUT as Voltaire wrote-
Common sense is not so common.

We are talking about people in this country who will not buy apples unless they are washed waxed on a foam tray hermetically sealed in heat shrink plastic. Probably the same people who buy a butty in a plastic triangle and we have all seen the documentarys about how they are made.

Or to put it another way-
Look how many people watch the x factor.

Vive la France
;)

Tamper proof seals

Hi, this is my first posting on the forum as I have just joined.

From my own (short) experience, I have put my seals this year for the first time from the lid to just underneath my main front label. Even if it is not a legal requirement, as a consumer it is reassuring to know that the jar has not been tampered with and I am the first to sample! Just good practice I would have thought.

Regards.

Chris is right about tamper proof jars here in France.

Why bother worrying about jars when you have stacks of air dried sausages,hams and unrefrigerated cheese available in every market!!
This does not seem to effect the locals as they have one of the highest average life expectancies in europe!!!
But that might just be the amount of red wine and Duck fat they eat around here!!!!

FYI just received answer from the FSA re. vac sealing query.

"Good morning Russell

Thank you for your email. I have consulted with my enforcement colleagues and looked at the honey regulations and we agree there is no EU regulation that states honey has be vacuum sealed.

My advice would be that you contact your Local Authority, I’m sure you have a contact if your business is registered and have them confirm that the methods / jars you are using are safe and comply with legislation. You can then use this information to go back to the retailer.

I hope this helps

Many thanks

Kerys "

to confirm that everything added at the factory is still inside.

Not really (not looked at the link to see if you were jesting). More because at some time in the past some nasty blackmailers actually added extras to some products - poison, or infective agents, etc.

Removing items from shelves on an emergency basis, or undergoing the threat of contaminated items being placed on the shelves, rapidly encouraged the food industry to develop ways to combat this issue. Hence tamper-proof labels, vacuum seals with food safety tell-tale poppers, tamper-proof lids, strip sealed lids, hermetically sealed wrappings, etc.

RAB

just pointing out that us brits love our food to be full of who knows what (with a little trace of pure foodstuff) even before one factors in the extra additions by blackmailers.

:iagree:

I am always stunned by the amount of plastic wrapping in UK food stores.
On the other hand...by the time it hits the shelf in the UK every item would have probably been touched numerous times by "who knows" and they don't have to worry about mishandling the goods.
If it's sealed it can go and drop in to a cow pat for all they care. Give it a wipe and place it back into the box.
Plus they need room to print all the precautionary measures and hazards.

But you can't wash honey....well you can...if you want to make mead.

Greets
Phil

Back on topic. I use tamper proof seals from label to lid. It just looks more professional.

Last edited:
Think about the thousands of pots of home made jam etc. sold every weeek-end at charity fairs, bazaars, church sales. Was there not something years ago trying to regulate them which was abandoned ?.

Armed with the BBKA, FSA and comments here, I challenged the retailer again and he could not come up with the goods but saying " We should get away with it then!" aaagh plonker

Armed with the BBKA, FSA and comments here, I challenged the retailer again and he could not come up with the goods but saying " We should get away with it then!" aaagh plonker

Looked at a display of "Local Honey" in a slightly posher farm shop "up country" at weekend..

Most were incorrectly labeled.... oz only or in one case no weight at all.. the best was Devon Honey ( produce of "Scotland")
ones with security tabs from lid to jar were broken... some others had dust on lids... none was under £6.75 !!:mad::mad::mad:

@Russel, Was there any other honey in the shop, from any source, and was any of that apparently vacuum sealed?

Latest posts

Back