taking in pollen .....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
i went to my apairy today just to see how the girls were doing and they were out flying about taking in quite a bit of pollen, and also got my fix to last a bit longer .........oh how i love to see them flying about ...

i went to my apairy today just to see how the girls were doing and they were out flying about taking in quite a bit of pollen, and also got my fix to last a bit longer .........oh how i love to see them flying about ...
What was the temperature?

Lucky you! I'm worrying like crazy about mine.

Hi you two,
I am pleased to hear that they are 'hanging in there'. My four colonies were out yesterday bringing in some pollen, but it was cold only 8C. They were probably desperate since they had not been out for eight days! One colony with very few stores must be working the fondant because they were bringing in water from my manhole covers! I take it, pond water too cold this time of the year. Tuesday is going to be a nice day 12C, so yours should be out then lebouce. Fingers crossed!

My bees are extremely busy this morning. I've got orange and white pollen coming in. Any suggestions as to what plants may be the source?

My bees are extremely busy this morning. I've got orange and white pollen coming in. Any suggestions as to what plants may be the source?

Hi thorne,
I agree that bright orange is crocus. The white one I have assumed is winter flowering heater, but not sure. Could be, what ITLD said, Butterbur if it has sort of a wet look to it. Next warm day I am going to take a walk to see if I can find that plant in our habitat! First good nectar source I am assuming will be willow unless someone has other ideas?

I saw 1 very brave bee returning to the polyhive today but that was all. Must have been desperate for a shite

Hi
My Girls were coming in and out with Yellow pollen

Crikey Finman, I bet even you don't want to risk the call of nature when it's that cold!

Don't be silly Excession. Finman will be telling you in a minute that the UK is far behind Finland in terms of indoor loos - even more than thirty years!

The bees were foraging heavily on winter aconite here; the air was full of the sound of buzzing bees. Sunny, but cold at 9-10 C.

Wiki's alder is not the common English one.
The pollen from my trees is a dirty yellow.

Just posted on another thread, my bees are working ornamental heather !
I have common alder in abundance both in my garden and around . When we moved onto this lane Mararet said". As it's called Alder Lane it would be appropriate to at least have one Alder tree" Yeah well! I didn't realise just how invasive Alders are !! They produce small cones which contain thousands of tiny seeds which readily sprout from any where they lay their heads :) Sycamore are sluggish compared to Alder. Still, upside is the Goldfinches love them as Winter feed! Funnily enough ,I've never seen my bees working the catkins !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back