Ta Daaa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
I won 3rd prize tonight for my Honey Cake at my local Beekeepers Association Honey Show. A lovely evening, lots of chatting about our bees. I was able to talk to someone who makes Mead too.
Thank you little bees for making such great honey...one taster told me that our honey had a lovely clear floral note.

Well done!
Have got you the recipe to share and a photo? (It's never too early to look at pictures of cake!)

The cake is being munched at an alarming rate! I will take a photo. The recipe was the same for everyone...so the winning cake had the same ingredients. I have an Everhot cooker...so knowing the oven temperature is tricky. It was a little too hot and my cake rose too quickly...so cracked on the top. The judge said the flavour was really good and it was moist. I am going to do it again but will use a cold shield above the cake this time. It was fun to have a try though.
I will post photo and recipe.
There were some bottles of Mead being judged too. We were invited to try it afterwards. So now I have an idea of what it tastes like.....and the tastes were very varied! So none the wiser! The judge reassured me about the mead I have made this year. He says it can sometimes take 2 years to completely clear. He said the slower the better. Some glimmer of hope for mine then...it is clearing a little each week but still some way to go.

The Honey cake recipe.
250gm honey and a little extra for glazing.
225gm unsalted butter
100gm dark muscavado sugar
3 large eggs ..beaten
300 gm self raising flour.
Oven 160'C
Cake tin ...20 cm...lined and greased.
Method
Cut up butter into saucepan, add honey and sugar. Heat gently to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
Cool for at least 20 minutes. Beat eggs into honey mixture. Make sure this is cool enough or it will curdle the eggs.
Sift flour into bowl. Pour in the egg mixture and beat to smooth batter...this will be a soft and fairly wet batter. Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 50 minutes or more until skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin. Remove from tin whilst still warm. Glaze with warmed honey.

Well done Trem.
I think some cracks on top makes it look more inviting and yours was nicely glazed. Unfortunately (unbelievably?) I was so busy yacking that I never got to try any of them. That's a first!
I'm glad you had a chat with Bill about your Mead making, his is the only Mead that I can say I really enjoy.

Looks delicious! Thank you for uploading the photo!

Thanks for posting the recipe. If you don't mind maybe I will have a go at it for my local association honey show next year. I had a go this year but the cake came a out a little too sticky in the middle.

Latest posts

Back