syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Simply when should you stop feeding it? thanks

I took my feeders off yesterday. I think if they have stopped taking it down then that is a good guide that they no longer need it.

a friend of mine says its late for feeding now as the bees can't convert the syrup properly and it may ferment which inturn gives the bees the screaming ab dabs?!

Depends if they have enough food surely! Is the hive REALLY heavy when you lift the back end? As Someone said the other day .... It should feel as though it is nailed down!
In this weather feeding is still possible. If they are light then have fondant ready for early spring!
E

Yes
Still 15C+ normally frosts at night at this time of year but none so far.

Taking it down (a small nuc).

As my feeders go empty, they are being refilled with invert syrup.
I'm not too worried about the hive weights - but a prolonged cool wet spell when they are consuming stores rather than being on the Ivy, would see the weights come down. So I'm doing a little more feeding on a couple of the hives.

My tiny and hopeless late swarm are going to get a few crystallised shallow frames (and a couple of uncapped 'cut comb' frames) cycled through their nuc during the winter, but they don't know that, so I'm trying to get them to pack what they have as well as they can.

Itma I trust you are hoping for the odd warm day in winter to be doing that!

a friend of mine says its late for feeding now as the bees can't convert the syrup properly and it may ferment which inturn gives the bees the screaming ab dabs?!

Direct your friend to Hivemaker's Thymol recipe for syrup. Then it won't ferment and then there is no issue.
I am still feeding.
Cazza

Me too, but nearly finished.

Just returned from hols so will be weighing the hives tomorrow. I took the feeders off before I left as Ivy was coming on stream. If any need it they will get invert syrup.

Itma I trust you are hoping for the odd warm day in winter to be doing that!

I don't think you need it to be warm.
I've opened hive up in cold weather to move a full frame next to the cluster if it's been cold for a while and I've noticed they are next to an empty frame.
Takes 30 seconds...after all no bees interfere with your manipulations.

I was wondering if I should switch from syrup to fondant, I'm not sure how long it's advisable to give syrup although the bees are taking it like mad, my hives are all light but the bees are going crazy for the ivy at the moment and I hope filling the hives abit.

since the ripening process needs energy and elevated temperatures its going to depend on the level of insulation and the size of the colony. If its dependant on getting the hive to 30C, then bees in a std wooden hive will find it a challenge at temperatures below 17C if its a ~1kg colony.

Direct your friend to Hivemaker's Thymol recipe for syrup. Then it won't ferment and then there is no issue.
I am still feeding.
Cazza

One colony of Carniolians ( double brood + 1/2) on finished off its fifth 5 1/2 litre contact feeder of Thymolated 2:1 this morning and has been given another as it is such a huge colony.......

But think about all those TESCO points !

Mine are still flying about and bringing in loads of pollen.

Latest posts

Back