Swienty Poly Nationals - design change

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I had a look at the pictures and understand how it works.

I'm going to buy some of the new type but as yet cannot find out if only the 14x12 brood box design has changed or have Swienty completely redesigned all the hive parts.

CWJ photos suggest the only new shape is the 14x12. If there is a complete redesign then the supers etc. are old photos or old stock which they have.

Yes, I had a look at the pictures and understand how it works.

I'm going to buy some of the new type but as yet cannot find out if only the 14x12 brood box design has changed or have Swienty completely redesigned all the hive parts.

CWJ photos suggest the only new shape is the 14x12. If there is a complete redesign then the supers etc. are old photos or old stock which they have.

Looking at the swienty advert in B-craft I would say that they have redesigned all the parts. Both the Super and standard deep look to have the same design sides as the 14x12.

It's totally understandable that a stockist will want to sell the older stock (design) prior to shipping the newer design.

If in doubt, call and ask.

btw the ad says "New Design, New Price"

I would be interested to hear as I'm now considering buying one to try.

Received my order from CWJ today, biggest problem was getting the pallet into the shed :)

I have taken a photo of one completed hive showing that it is indeed a complete new design from Swienty. Everything fits together perfectly, a BB takes about a minute to assemble not counting the runners. Jury is still out on the frame runners and not exactly sure how I will attach them yet, probably drill and pin them through the side with normal frame pins.

Very impressed with the poly quality. The entrance is one bee space high roughly. Think I will make up a mouseguard plate to cover the complete entrance as the landing area would be a perfect spot for a mouse to sit and chew at the poly around the entrance.

I would like to have seen the mesh on the floor more open as I think the diameter of the holes are rather small, can be changed easily though.

One other suggestion I may make to Swienty is to recess the roof at the sides in the same way they did with the floor so that a strap locates better.

Now time to get painting and assembling more frames!

Last edited:
I don't understand your comment about using frame nails to attach the runners, the earlier photos show how they fit into a slot on the inner walls of the box?

That is the old roof style you have, the new roofs are flush with the brood/super box in terms of width and depth with a small lips over the side of the box below - the new roofs do also have the cuts to accept straps too.

It terms of runners they now supply you with plastic strips that slot into the side of the BB/super and seem to work well, adding castellated spacing is easy too fit if needed.

JD

Mmmm...when I spoke to them they told me they were out of roofs and waiting for stock so I'll be giving them a call as they assured me the hives were to the complete new design :(

Any picture of the new roof available so that I can compare?

As for the runners, in my haste I missed that it was actually a slot as opposed to just a recess :redface:

Last edited:
Mmmm when I spoke to them they told me they were out of roofs and waiting for the new ones to come in, so I'll be giving them a call as they assured me the hive was to the complete new design :(

Any picture of new roof available?

Picture below somewhere ->

Some ppl seem to like the older version, me I much prefer the new one.

JD

... One other suggestion I may make to Swienty is to recess the roof at the sides in the same way they did with the floor so that a strap locates better....

According to the advertisement in BeeCraft you still have the old-style roof.

Thanks for the info and pic.

Is the new roof the same thickness as the old?

One other thing that may need a bit of modding is the varroa tray. I will probably add something to make it easier to get hold of once it is in the slot as there is nothing to grip onto to remove it. The lipped design is good though as it helps to stop any varroa that are in the tray from escaping.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pic.

Is the new roof the same thickness as the old?

One other thing that may need a bit of modding is the varroa tray. I will probably add something to make it easier to get hold of once it is in the slot as there is nothing to grip onto to remove it.

Its as thick as the walls I am sure, so its fine.

I like the look of both tbh. I can see the new one being a better design when it comes to moving hives.
I'll be getting some of these.

What type of crown board and queen exclude do folk normally use with these hives? Quite interested to join the revolution and see brood right out into the outer most frames!!

Standard equipment fits these hives. Framed excluder, crownboard etc and I've been told the feeder design is one of the best.

I'd love to move over to these next year but petrified of woodpeckers :(

Woodpeckers aren't fussy what the hive material is, except I suppose metal or concrete!

Protect them the same as wood.

... the new roofs are flush with the brood/super box in terms of width and depth with a small lips over the side of the box below - the new roofs do also have the cuts to accept straps too.

I can't quite square that with the photo of the new roof on the hive. Strap cutouts I can see, but it looks as though the back and sides are equally overlapping the box.

I'd be pleased to see some more photos, including of the underside of the roof.
Maybe the details would show better after painting some colour other than white?

I can't quite square that with the photo of the new roof on the hive. Strap cutouts I can see, but it looks as though the back and sides are equally overlapping the box.

I'd be pleased to see some more photos, including of the underside of the roof.
Maybe the details would show better after painting some colour other than white?

There is an overlap (as far as I can see on the photos) and should be for weather proofing imho.
It's just that it's a lot smaller overlap ala MB poly hives.

Near enough flush compared to the larger overlap of the old design.

There is an overlap (as far as I can see on the photos) and should be for weather proofing imho.
It's just that it's a lot smaller overlap ala MB poly hives.

Near enough flush compared to the larger overlap of the old design.

Oddly enough, what I like about the newer version of the Paynes roof (apart from the welcome increased thickness) is the bigger vertical overlap, wrapping more over the top of the box, without much increase in the amount of overhang out to (all four of) the sides.
The increased wrapover better shields a proper framed (see-through!) coverboard.

Do Swienty/CWJ expect the roof to also act as the coverboard?

Latest posts

Back