Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intlgrrl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Are swarms worth catching in June? Since this past winter didn't end until April, where I live, I'm wondering if June is too late to catch a swarm and start another hive.

Are swarms worth catching in June? Since this past winter didn't end until April, where I live, I'm wondering if June is too late to catch a swarm and start another hive.
Yes. After midsummer they may not draw foundation straight unless they have a strong nectar flow. If you have spare combs to give them, they will fill them quickly with the honey they carried from the old swarm.

"A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon"

Climate change has somewhat b***** that old saying up!

Milencovich events and all that...

However a swarm of bees at any time of the season can be good to bolster a weaker colony... I never raise queens from a swarm... I do not want that particular allele in my line thanks.... so after feeding and treating cull the incumbent before merging.

Yeghes da

What's the weather like from June onwards in Ohio anyway? (and is that anywhere near Scunthorpe?)

Most unfair... you lot across the Bristol Channell get to waive a flag... even them lot over the Tamar get a flag ( of sorts)

Ohio is that not over that big pond somewhere... they have a flag ... quite a nice one with both stars and stripes!

:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

What's the weather like from June onwards in Ohio anyway? (and is that anywhere near Scunthorpe?)

Where is Scunthorpe? Weather in NE Ohio can get rather warm, especially in June and July, once the lake warms up, and we're still in the process of warming up, fluctuating from 50 degrees F, to 90 degrees F. It will should stay warm until late August and then there is a mild cool down in September.

I see your from Carmarthenshire, I was just there last summer for a week!

Most unfair... you lot across the Bristol Channell get to waive a flag... even them lot over the Tamar get a flag ( of sorts)

Ohio is that not over that big pond somewhere... they have a flag ... quite a nice one with both stars and stripes!

:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Yeah, Ohio is somewhere over the big pound (look in the great lakes region), and the state flag is a pennant shaped flag and the same colors as the US flag. no biggie.

Oh yes, whereabouts?

We were in Cynwyl Elfed. I was with my aunt and uncle and a few other family members. They had booked a cottage for a week there, and from there we went driving around visiting various towns and such for each day. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I think Tenby was my favorite place that we visited, well it a close tie with this one jewelry shop, that seemed to be in the middle of no where, but has absolutely fantastic silver and gold jewelry that I've never seen anywhere else. I wish I could remember the name of the shop.

Latest posts

Back