Swarming Weather end of month

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
looking at several long range weather forecasts it looks like setting the midlands, East Anglia, south East and south up for swarms by the end of the month

OSR and dandelions are coming on

Warm spell around the middle of the month for a few days to start them thinking QC mode and very warm weather for the last week of Easter/May day BH fir them to go

so i think i will NOT be i watching the Royal wedding:seeya:

must get my bait hives out with possible swarms on congested hive around 15th while local beekeepers miss a inspection to go to the stoneleigh weekend

now where did i put my long handled pruning shears :hurray:

Last edited:
Some friends are predicting this year should be a good year for collecting swarms based on some of the novices trained over the last two years not expecting their colonies to swarm or the non trained bee keepers opening their hives to see a mass of bees and close them up again in a panic.

Still looking for a colony of really angry bees to guard my apiary in case some one decides to try and steal my hives. :reddevil:

Some friends are predicting this year should be a good year for collecting swarms based on some of the novices trained over the last two years not expecting their colonies to swarm or the non trained bee keepers opening their hives to see a mass of bees and close them up again in a panic.

Still looking for a colony of really angry bees to guard my apiary in case some one decides to try and steal my hives. :reddevil:

must admit, mine are boiling over at present, they seem really to like this cold winter, must have been in deep cluster for longer

swarms have already been reported in the UK

Southwest I am sure, got mentioned at Lincoln auction too

My daughter claimed her future FinL had a swarm last week...but then again I don't believe HE could have as he is quite a 'big bod' in the beekeeping world...

My bait hives are out too, 3 of then 4 miles apart from each other and I am gonna have to get some more.

My bait hives are out too, 3 of then 4 miles apart from each other and I am gonna have to get some more.

So your bait hives cover a distance of 12 millies? Sorry for asking im New to beekeeping. But 12 milles is a big distance. Which direction do you go in, or are they just willy nilly spread out?

I can help! When would you like to collect your spawn of the devil?

I agree though Mike, I have one colony that are very aggressive, very productive and seemingly very durable/robust, just a tight dependable unit. I would not be parted from them and am trying to breed from HM this year since she'll be into her third year. They are worth the slightly higher stress they invoke because I have a remote site and they do offer some protection against opportunists and vandals...
It's also a joy to see them on a bright summer afternoon playing tag rugby with the local wasps, so sweet.

So your bait hives cover a distance of 12 millies? Sorry for asking im New to beekeeping. But 12 milles is a big distance. Which direction do you go in, or are they just willy nilly spread out?

Winker something I read from CSL suggested that a hive that is going to swarm will actively pre-investigate options within a 2 miles radius and a swarm on the wing can travel anything up to 9 miles, in terms of direction .... all - but lead by a following wind I would have thought.

In terms of Nottinghams baits then the 12 miles does not really mean anything unless you are targeting a single swarm origin, which of course you can't! The 4 miles spread is probably more important.

You trust the forecast that far out? The BBC 5-day rolling forecast for here can't even get it right 24 hours in advance!

Jc

Couldn't agree more with the weather on the BBC 5 day, it seems to change between a.m and p.m for Teignmouth. I think the Met. Office have been using different seaweed since moving to Exeter.

The first bait hive is about 300 meters from my colony and the other two bait hives are 4 miles away in each direction. They have been placed in area's were I know bees are being kept.

attachment.php

I have five colonies of them aggressive and following. New queens already on order.

I have what I assume are scout bees checking out the flue from our boiler. Showing far too much interest than I am happy with. May try the old 'aerosol paint' trick to find out if they are mine and from which colony.

I'm one of the novices shocked by the number of bees in one of my hives. I searched for the queen with a view to marking her but there were so many bees I found it impossible. At their rate of increase they won't be long in swarming.They swarmed/cast five times last year and still gave a very good crop of honey. Any ideas as to how to artificial swarm without finding her?

I'm one of the novices shocked by the number of bees in one of my hives. I searched for the queen with a view to marking her but there were so many bees I found it impossible. At their rate of increase they won't be long in swarming.They swarmed/cast five times last year and still gave a very good crop of honey. Any ideas as to how to artificial swarm without finding her?

Try this...............

"You trust the forecast that far out? The BBC 5-day rolling forecast for here can't even get it right 24 hours in advance!"

I read a detailed forecast online (issued sept/oct) which looked into the La Nina cycle in combination with the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) which predicted a deep freeze at start of winter followed by a mild end.

Seems to have been spot on.

Shame BBC scared to attempt a decent long range forecast or at least eg 33% chance winter colder than average, 33% about average, 33% warmer than average and 1% chance of BBQ winter!!!!!

Latest posts

Back