Swarming.... some thoughts.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Swarming.

You have a plan right?

Have you enough equipment ready to go?

What does what mean? Demeree, Pagden...

“I am confused.”

Well let's see if we can straighten some things out.

What I am going to suggest is but one way, there are quite a few and of course they all work perfectly every time in every circumstance. Rubbish they do.

So on a realistic basis what can you expect?

At worst a swarm hanging from a bush or down a neighbours chimney which is why we are going to have a think about avoiding all that awkwardness and beekeeping embarrassment. Be honest with yourself, unleashing swarms on the public is not the best of beekeeping.

What is swarming? Sex. Reproduction. And because it is sexy stuff the impulses are very powerful indeed.

So how do you know a colony is going to swarm? Arguably the very first indicator is the building of play cups on brood frames, although many colonies build them and do nothing at all, they just like to have the “foundations” laid as it were. A play cup is a finger tip sized cup built of wax on the brood frames, and there may be quite a few of them.

Your colony most likely will be getting stronger, though some colonies will swarm out of frustration at lack of room for the queen to lay up.

The transfer of pheromones from the queen becomes too diluted to act as the cohesive glue that holds the colony as a unit due to the number of bees, and the fun begins.

The first real hint you will get is an egg in a queen cup. That is not a statement of intent but I find it is more often than not a pretty big clue. When you look next that egg may well be missing, a not uncommon happening, or there will be a larvae in a nice thick bed of royal jelly.

Your colony has just announced they are in swarm mode by reason of that larvae. They are NOT serious about swarming when there is an egg, but they ARE serious when there is a larvae.

There are theories that if you keep knocking out queen cells your bees will settle down. And I believe in the tooth fairy too. If your colony has swarm cells whether sealed or open they are minded to go, and nothing you can do short of killing them is going to change their minds, and remember you are dealing with 50 odd thousand determined females.

What to do?

Most swarm theories now begin with find the queen. Ho ho ho says you never seen her yet.

But you do know how to tell if she is laying: yes because you can see the eggs, and if you cannot then possibly you need some assistance in learning how to tilt the comb so that the light, and of course you have your back to the sun, is shining over your shoulder into the cells so you can observe them.

Yes eggs can be seen. Ok, so the next thing is to find out where the queen is.

At the simplest she will be in one brood box and if accessing more than one (double brood box) then by using queen excluders we can isolate her to the one box.

At this point if you are competent and confident you can do a careful search and pop her into a nuc box on a frame of brood with the bees from a couple of frames of brood shaken in too.

Warning. Never shake a frame which has a queen cell you want to use.

If you are saying you are in neither of those happy states then lets go to plan B.

I am assuming here that you are using National equipment. Modify for other frames as you wish.

Using two nuc boxes divide the brood box frames between them and the brood box, making sure there is an open cell in the brood box to keep the main force of bees happy, and four days later you will know in which one the queen is. Yes fresh eggs and no cells. However there is a risk that you will not find her in your nucs and she may still be in the hive. There is obviously the chance that some wild comb will be built in your brood box but in the space of four days nothing overly dramatic.

Ok, so we now have the queen located. She can be left in the brood box and move the entire box off to one side, or be moved to a nuc box and can be considered an insurance policy. If she has a frame of brood and a frame to lay up and the rest foundation she will be safe enough and doing some work for you. I would also shake in a couple of frames of bees to give her a good hand. Of course a drop of syrup will help them out too.

The nuc boxes which are queenless can be united again into the main hive, and to be sure use some news paper or perfume spray to help their re-acceptance.

In the main hive I leave ONE open cell, the youngest possible. Leave them well alone to get on with it and with some good weather she will be mated with in 5 weeks. I hear you gasp but, I allow virgins up to 30 odd days to mate, and of course she has to get from being a cell to hatched virgin.

Personally I would also use another of the open cells in a nuc box to act as another insurance. This way your swarming colony gets two goes at mating virgins and also has the old queen in reserve.

Timing.

It's up to you.

You can go with the bees and when it happens it happens and it's all good. Or you can........

Work out when your target flow, your main nectar flow begins, and from that date work back to ensure your virgins will have enough time to mate. Remember the magic figures, 3 days an egg, 5 days a larvae and 8 days pupation. Total 16... plus of course enough time to mate.

If you take my worst figure of 30 days and add in the 16, then you know when to create the artificial swarm for yourself. Find your queen via above and off you go.

Flow begins on the first of July. 16th of May would be a good time, more likely the weekend of the 21st or 22nd would suit most. Why? All of June is set aside for the mating, so from the 31st of May count back the 16 days but allow for the four already “spent” as the timing really starts from the hatched egg in the open cell. Day 4.

Once your virgins are mated you can unite your nuc and the Queens nuc to the main colony to max it up for the main flow you are aiming for. Though myself I would keep the mated virgin in the nuc for a spare. Remember of course that you have to de-queen before uniting.

True swarms go through what I can only describe as a “mind wipe” and can be located anywhere you like. However when dealing with an artificial swarm procedure this does not happen and so nucs made up need to have the entrance stuffed with grass for a few days so that the bees will adjust to the new position.

I hope this may assist some even if it amuses others. ;)

PH

Have you enough equipment ready to go?

This is the most important bit. Everything else you can compensate for at the last minute, but getting spare kit has a bit of turnaround time.

Interesting stuff, PH, and timely too as newbeeks need to start thinking about it, and oldbeeks need to dust off the memory (sticks) !

I read an interesing piece on how the chap at Kemble Bee Supplies does his swarm control with varroa management at the same time on his blog....

Will try and re-post it here later

S

Any thoughts on the "split" or "double entrance " nuc boxes, or should the nucs be taken well away from the donor main hive and even each each other, but not everyone has the benefit of an out apairy 3 miles distant....... I have had bees all leave the nuc and go home leaving a queen if there is one... must have been doing something wrong!

Quite concerned this year. Have never split a hive or seen a split - it all sounds so easy on paper and screen...but when thousands of bees are around and you can't see the surface for bodies...let alone find a queen...I know I will panic and muck it up. I'm attempting to go on a course soon - but still waaay worried...and I bet I miss the important class!! :(

What is swarming? Sex. Reproduction. And because it is sexy stuff the impulses are very powerful indeed.
PH

So what you're saying is, AS is a way of getting them straight from 'in the mood' to the cigarette, without them realising there's anything missing. ;)

Seriously, another excellent post, which I intend to read a couple more times to make sure I've got it.

Great help, cheers poly

Quite concerned this year. Have never split a hive or seen a split - it all sounds so easy on paper and screen...but when thousands of bees are around and you can't see the surface for bodies...let alone find a queen...I know I will panic and muck it up. I'm attempting to go on a course soon - but still waaay worried...and I bet I miss the important class!! :(

Simples .... mark your queens!

......then the Lady hides!!!!

Q59...I will always come over and shout encouragement from a safe distance.....

"other" side of the Tamar close enough!!!

Good article... got me thinking..... did buy some gimp pins yesterday from last of the real iron mongers £4 for 2kg loose!!

I am nowhere near ready for the spring!! beekiewise!!

Last edited:
Skyhook et all...

The principle point is that YOU the beekeeper decides what is to happen in concert with the bees.

However do remember if you A/S willy nilly will you over look that supercedure strain?

Just a thought.... lol

PH

Hi Q59

As long as you have all the equipment to hand and know what you are trying to achieve it will work suprisingly smoothly.
When you have done the first one you can then look back and think "what was all the fuss about?"
Cazza

Manley's method

Reading about Manley. His methods of swarm management involved not waiting for the virgin to get mated but replacing her with a mated queen with a better pedigree. Net result being improved genetics rather than propogating swarminess, plus quicker return to honey production. If I can get queen rearing underway early enough I'll be trying this approach.

Has anyone else tried this?

yes.

Helped me enormously to head towards a supercedure strain.

PH

I could do with a check list of what equipment I must have for this Spring. I'm buying two hives on Tuesday. I'm assuming I will have nuc boxes when I buy my nucs. Frames come with the hives. I have my smoker and hive tool. What else should I definately have before my nucs are ready? ...veil...forgot about the veil, that would have been embarrassing

Very well explained. I've been re reading about swarming and it just wasn't sinking in. Now I think I get it, and I'm sure with my mentor at my side correcting any mistakes I make, I'll manage to get through it. Thank you

I could do with a check list of what equipment I must have for this Spring. I'm buying two hives on Tuesday. I'm assuming I will have nuc boxes when I buy my nucs. Frames come with the hives. I have my smoker and hive tool. What else should I definately have before my nucs are ready? ...veil...forgot about the veil, that would have been embarrassing

Ideally you should be prepared already and be a member of an association is a great way to learn quickly.

But three quick things I would recommend
a mentor
a good bee book - see other threads
patience or a lock and key to stop you from opening them up every other day.

:rofl:

I suspect you may be in error in assuming you will get a nuc box with your nuc.

I certainly sell my nucs on the frame, as do many. Which is to say they may arrive in a nuc box but I depart with it.

If you are only using nuc boxes for temp work they are cheap and easy to make from exterior ply.

You might want to ponder on having four supers per colony, although you will probably get away with two this year, 2/colony that is.

Spare hive tool. Please do not invest in a queen catcher as they are notorious for killing queens.

Also see this thread: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3703&highlight=toolbox

PH

Ideally you should be prepared already and be a member of an association is a great way to learn quickly.

But three quick things I would recommend
a mentor
a good bee book - see other threads
patience or a lock and key to stop you from opening them up every other day.

:rofl:

I have the mentor and bee books, did a course last year. Not sure what you mean by being prepared already because you have to start buying equipment at some point, this is it and why I am preparing. I don't think I would get my moneys worth from associations.

Just a quick edit, I realise I may have given the wrong impression. When I say buying the hives, I mean empty hives otherwise I would have been really unprepared. Bees should be ready late April early May.

Thanks for help mark

Last edited:
It's a pov Elly, and although I am not a member of my local ones as both are just that bit too far away to be handy I am a member of both the SBA and the BBKA.

Have you considered the insurance aspect of being a member? Not to mention the support on offer?

PH

Latest posts

Back