Swarming season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms in two days, 5 in seven - same poor guy's garden! Is that a record?

Mine usually swarm regular as clockwork last week May or first week June. However yesterday the strong hive that arrived as a swarm last year, were up in the air. I watched as usual expecting them to land somewhere but they didn’t. Five minutes later all back in the hive. (No, it’s not a mating flight) Two hours later, did the same again. I knew what to expect today and yes, just now for the third time, same again. I assume HM is unwilling or unable to fly with them. I’m not one for cutting Queens and not experienced this before so it’s a case of deckchair and popcorn and watch the show.

Mine usually swarm regular as clockwork last week May or first week June. However yesterday the strong hive that arrived as a swarm last year, were up in the air. I watched as usual expecting them to land somewhere but they didn’t. Five minutes later all back in the hive. (No, it’s not a mating flight) Two hours later, did the same again. I knew what to expect today and yes, just now for the third time, same again. I assume HM is unwilling or unable to fly with them. I’m not one for cutting Queens and not experienced this before so it’s a case of deckchair and popcorn and watch the show.
:paparazzi::paparazzi:

I had the same experience twice on two consecutive days this week - swarm cloud appears and bee everywhere on the outside of the hive - then they settled down again

who doesn't bother taking preventative action and just sits back and lets them go

I think swarms of bees are attracted to locations where there are established colonies ... huge swarm arrived in my garden yesterday ... hanging on a branch about 30 feet up the Lawsons Pine in the garden, about 30 feet from my apiary - definitely not mine. They were far too hgh to safely capture them and they ignored the bait box I put below them - a few sniffed around it but the committee clearly didn't agree. They've gone today - there are a few beekeepers within a mile of me so someone has lost a lot of bees but where they have gone ? Who knows .. freebees bibi ... 'er indoors was muttering about 'more bees .. Do you need MORE bees ? ... so probably for the best ...

A house in our village had 4 last year. I picked up the middle two. The last one was too high up for me. There are beehives about 2 metres from her boundary from a neighbouring beekeeper but I don't think they were his.

Trouble is if a swarm lands in your neighbours garden, they are "your bees"
I had the very accusation levelled at me this last week in a quite aggressive manner, despite offering to collect them. She organised another keeper instead.
She majored on the fact they'd never had a swarm before - she failed to realise that included the time I've lived next to her...

Latest posts

Back