Swarming and room for expansion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
Given that the two main triggers for swarming are natural increase and a lack of brood space, but also bearing in mind that a happy colony can stay put and supercede an aging queen:
I have not had the chance to allow colonies unlimited brood space (i'm thinking maybe the space in a 4 foot trough hive, or triple broods) I'm sure some of you have. I'm guessing that they still swarm?

Given that controlling/policing swarming takes much worry, time, and trouble, and in turn controls the timing of holidays and family outings etc, is anyone breeding strains specifically for supercedure as a trait?

Last edited:
M*dern sell a widget that lets you close the main enterance of their hive and open another above the queen excluder. This aparently means that the bees will not swarm as the queen cannot leave. You can't use it all the time, but it seems like an option for covering critical time periods and still allowing a life outside beekeeing. I can see no reason that this idea could not be adapted for any hive.

All the best

David

I see that there are yet more swarms and casts today too....

Latest posts

Back