swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
picked up a swarm that had settled in some gorse and stay for a few days before i had the call put them in bb with the branch they was on
anyway left four frames out to accommodate the branch should of left it out in the first place as they had started to build two combs on crown board took them off and replaced the missing frames was i right in doing this your thoughts please:banghead:

Alan

You more or less did the right thing BUT you should have vigorously 'brushed' all of the bees off the branch into the bb, all is underlined to ensure you've got the Q.

If they're flying in and out (and not forming clusters on outside/adjoining walls) you've probably got the Q

We haven't got much gorse in London so I may be wrong (but don't think so)

(Isn't it satisfying to collect a swarm?)

Richard

cheers Richard it is a wonderfull feeling picking up a swarm all well in the hive Q should be in i will leave now for a few weeks let them get on with it once brood at all stages i will find and clip her not worthy

If you give them any opportunity they will build wild comb rather than using foundation. Try leaving a gap in the hive and the following day it will be full of wild comb as you discovered. It is instinct for the to start from scratch. You did a good job well done
E

Latest posts

Back