Swarm traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks. Spent 20 minutes on Google and could only find the tiny ones..

erin do them - just need to find your local stockist (or blag a sample)

They oftern come with a fruit or veg kit in them too, we did them at work last year for Focus.

A good garden centre sould have them :)

looks like a highly elaborate bait hive to me? Surely any reasonably sturdy/waterproof 40lt containter would achieve the same? (I intend to use a skep this year)

unless you can monitor the traps daily it's better to use boxes that take appropriate frames. remember a swarm can draw out a big hive of comb in days - best that it is manageable rather than a mess of wild comb that just makes work for you.

Garden shop?

Make your own out of papier mache from re-cycled egg boxes?

How about the liners for hanging flower baskets?

Don't these pots go soggy when wet ?, make a thin ply wooden box that will take a few frames

I'm making a few out of old half bottle wine cases
The half bottle cases are just right for 3-4 old frames

Don't these pots go soggy when wet ?
Yes, they do, at least in our garden. If they get wet they won't stay the same shape unless they're filled with something solid such as soil.

I use a Nuc with a few frames. Caught a really large swarm last year. It's doing really well now and is really string colony.

although nucs do work as bait hives the work of Tom Seeley would suggest that if actually going to the bother of making one 40l (ie a national brood box) is the optimum size.

remembering also - small entrance, no mesh floor.

although nucs do work as bait hives the work of Tom Seeley would suggest that if actually going to the bother of making one 40l (ie a national brood box) is the optimum size.

remembering also - small entrance, no mesh floor.

can you remember where he put the entrance DrS?, I have lost my notes from his lecture.

low.

my boxes this year are 2nd's LS or nat broods, with frames and lures, with a sheet of ply screwed to the base and another sheet (with entrance) attached with hive fasteners for easy access.

Last edited:
Remember she is in Atlanta - don't think they get much rain there. Not suitable for the European weather for long, due to rain.

Actually, Atlanta gets much more rainfall in the spring/summer than Southern UK.

"Are you thinking of Atlantis - a lot wetter there, I believe"

or Atlanta after they moved the city offshore, along with all their great and the good, to become an even bigger Delta Hub!

"Are you thinking of Atlantis - a lot wetter there, I believe"

or Atlanta after they moved the city offshore, along with all their great and the good, to become an even bigger Delta Hub!
That Airport is the worst in the US

Latest posts

Back