Swarm Season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of mine swarmed today (witnessed) Due to other commitments I hadn't inspected for 12 days and hadn't seen any warning signs last time. I managed to collect them, not at work tomorrow so will be adding frames to the swarm and reducing the swarmed colony to 1 queen cell
I just hope the virgin manages to get mated this early!

After sixty odd years of beekeeping had to collect two swarms on the 19th of April, usually start swarm season mid/end of May. Must be this constant feeding of fondant that a lot of new beekeepers seem to do these days, plus a mild winter.

After sixty odd years of beekeeping had to collect two swarms on the 19th of April, usually start swarm season mid/end of May. Must be this constant feeding of fondant that a lot of new beekeepers seem to do these days, plus a mild winter.
I haven't fed any of my colonies over winter. Zip/nada/ nothing. But already 6 out of 8 are preparing to swarm? 😔

I haven't fed any of my colonies over winter. Zip/nada/ nothing. But already 6 out of 8 are preparing to swarm? 😔
It's their natural instinct.... it's part of their reproductive cycle.

If a colony reaches a decent size, is restricted in space, there is plenty of forage about and the weather is clement then it's likely to happen at some point. Some bees are less prone to swarming than others, rbred into their genetics. Newer queens are less likely to swarm and you can pre-empt swarming with various manipulations such as a Demaree .... but, if they want to go they will go and the beekeeper who doesn't look out for queen cells will lose their bees to swarming.

Reactions: Kaz
It's their natural instinct.... it's part of their reproductive cycle.

If a colony reaches a decent size, is restricted in space, there is plenty of forage about and the weather is clement then it's likely to happen at some point. Some bees are less prone to swarming than others, rbred into their genetics. Newer queens are less likely to swarm and you can pre-empt swarming with various manipulations such as a Demaree .... but, if they want to go they will go and the beekeeper who doesn't look out for queen cells will lose their bees to swarming.
Colonies are building and there’s forage about this year that is usually trashed by wind and showers. However, the air temperature is quite low - only getting into double figures by the early afternoon. Worse up North I expect too. This may deter inspections, missing queen cells as a result. As a guide, what would you experienced folk suggest the lowest temperature, that full inspections should be carried out be?

Colonies are building and there’s forage about this year that is usually trashed by wind and showers. However, the air temperature is quite low - only getting into double figures by the early afternoon. Worse up North I expect too. This may deter inspections, missing queen cells as a result. As a guide, what would you experienced folk suggest the lowest temperature, that full inspections should be carried out be?
Pick the warmest part of the day ... any day .... the bees dislike windy conditions when you are inspecting more than low temperatures ... for me ? Anything above 10 degrees is a good day - 15 degrees is excellent but .... if you have an inkling that they may be ready to swarm any day is a good day.

Drive them down into the body of the hive with either a bit of smoke or a water spray .. only lift out the frames with brood (after making space by removing the dummy board) as the queen cells won't be anywhere else and if you have a piece of cloth cover the tops of the frames with it or lay the dummy board on top of the frames to keep them down.

They are probably not going to thank you for it but it goes with the territory I'm afraid. Do you think commercial beekeepers hold off because of the weather ?

If I need to I’m in at 10 degrees but I have something in mind. If I’m looking for space that’s all I do. If QCs that’s all. No fannying about gazing at every frame, finding the queen or looking at cute little drones emerging. My hives are in a sheltered spot so I can get away with necessary inspections even if it’s windy

like wise non fed over winter, all left with a super of honey which I removed the excess mid March when I put the QX’s on ensuring enough space for the Q to lay. So far 17 out of 21 have had to be dealt witn

• Wow
Reactions: Kaz

if it needs to be done do it. Wait until you have a look at Queen rearing that is all determined by dates - Sod’s law it will be chucking it down or windy as hell but you still have to do it. Fishing umbrella to the rescue more than once

Latest posts

Back