Swarm question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
I was asked by a beekeeping friend of mine if I had ever heard of throwing two swarms together. I haven't but I am sure some of you guys will.
Answers on a postcard please.
Thanks
Andy

If done its "usually" done with small caste swarms as sometimes they can be quite small.

Any time you try anything like that, add in lots of icing sugar, and optionally a spray from the water mister. By the time they have cleaned each other up, they should all be on the same team. And any queens/princesses can sort themselves out.

Hi sandysman,
I have been told by someone who used to be a bee inspector that two casts without finding the queens is a no no - they will fight. However, three won't apparently! According to the German beekeepers video they throw all the casts together and portion the bees out at the right amount - one virgin each and shut them up for three days. I hasten to add that I have never tried either myself!

Yes, I too thought it might cause a bit of a scrap and be a waste of a good queen.

3 swarms caught the same day can be thrown in together. No problems. So I've been told. Not that I've tried it.

I was asked by a beekeeping friend of mine if I had ever heard of throwing two swarms together. I haven't but I am sure some of you guys will.
Answers on a postcard please.
Thanks
Andy

Done it with a couple of casts collected a week apart. Both virgins, so smoked heavily and chucked together. No untoward signs an queen mated in a couple of weeks. Or so it seems.

Latest posts

Back